Scott Skinner's Compliments to Doctor MacDonald

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This a a version, on octave mandolin, of James Scott Skinner's march written as a tribute to Doctor Keith Norman MacDonald of Skye, who was a noted physician and Fiddle player.
    Skinner (1843 - 1927) was one of Scotland's best-known musicians and composers and his tunes are still universally popular and played regularly not only by fiddle players but by many players of a wide variety of instruments. He was known as the Strathspey King.
    I played this one on unaccompanied octave mandolin, recording simultaneously into REAPER, using a Rode NT1a mic, and on the Sanyo camcorder. No added effects other than converting the REAPER wav file to mp3 and deleting the Sanyo audio track and topping and tailing the video and adding credits.

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great tone and playing, John! That sounds very difficult to play.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another nice Skinner tune.
    In this unaccompanied recording we can really feel what great instrument you made out of some pieces of wood – and how masterly you play it. I like to hear how the wood speaks/sing.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    My compliments to you John. No added sugar or preservatives, just the instrument holding sway.
    I think this is the first Scott Skinner tune I hear since Hector the Hero (but of a different character).
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Yes, very nice John. I had forgotten that Skinner did Hector, another song I was working on. I may reprise it, it's in my book somewhere.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, really nice to hear these quite different tunes and styles John , thanks.