Uncle Bernard’s

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a petit tune from Paul Hardy’s Basic Tunebook.
    (Week 519, London Lasses up next)

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a really good sounding and steady playing, Simon.
    You developed a great technic. I assume all these many recordings within the last months helped a lot.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another cracker, Simon. You are really on a roll now. That camera angle is very good for showing both hands clearly.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I also like this one. It's a jaunty melody, and you keep the rhythm going so well that it draws me in.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Who needs a metronome
    I must try that relaxed attitude, back on the floor, feet stomping the wall
  6. bbcee
    bbcee
    Ha ha, +1 on the horizontal playing posture!!

I've been enjoying your contributions tremendously - apart from being well-chosen selections, they're good lessons in how to do the right hand.

Now when are you going to break down and get a proper mandola?? Seriously, I really like the tone of that OM, it's well-balanced and mellow.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gentlemen!
    Frithjof, yes the recording here helped me with motivation, and self discipline (I need a lot more!) and seeing something to the end. I was thinking that I often start a tune without knowing how I’m going to end it, or even what a good end could be. Often I break out of the structure of the tune (mentally) at about the second to last measure and give my creative but disorganized side of me a chance to express itself. ThatÂ’s where it all falls apart! Ha, ha.

I think David Grisman was saying something about that. The idea being that there aren’t that many different ways to do it, so it’s not creative it’s just choosing one of the say 100 different ways to play a certain measure. Hope that’s what he meant!

I like the camera angle too, but I’m going to have to do something about the capo, or rather the key of the tune. Some of the vids are in C when traditionally the tunes are in, for example G. And the right hand, yes the hand plays every eighth almost without exception, even when there aren’t any notes. It’s just the pick that drops down a bit for each note. Sometimes I tap the sound board with my little finger on eighths too, very bad habit, but I like it.

A mandola would be nice, well a mandolin would be nice too, but being economically challenged, that’s going to have to wait. Also Amazon France have just decided that musical instruments (from Vietnam etc) are not essential items. (Legal actions against them) So my next forty odd tunes are going to have to be on an octave with a capo.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    TO ALL MANDOLIN CAFE MEMBERS... There is a automated YouTube person, once named TOM, who was blasting YouTube with exact same comments on our member's pages as well as many of the people I subscribe to.. He had a channel on video games and How to Get More Views..and had thousands of subscribers. The page itself looked fake. I would suggest that if he leaves a comment for you that you NOT accept it and if possible to block him. I fear hackers from far-off countries..Right now he is a blue head with no name - how to you get to have no name?? I don't know and now I can't trace him to report him. So heads-up and be careful.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Apparently there is a whole page about this guy (or robot) - has thousands of views..he keeps changing his name - Tom, Tom 2, Tim etc...I have reported him and also would delete any comments he has put on your pages. YT is aware of him, btw..but he's a slippery dude....I wouldn't give him the attention he wants by deleting or not accepting his comments...We may all like comments but not at the expense of hacker safety.
  10. JLewis
    JLewis
    Found this abc for Uncle Bernard's Polka with chords on Folk Tune Finder.

X:121
    T:12. PAT-A-CAKE POLKA (polkas)
    T:Uncle Bernard's Polka
    R:Polka
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:G
    "G"G2A2 "D"B2c2|"G"d2 de dc B2|"C"c2 cd cB A2|"D"B2>c2 B2A2|\
    "G"G2A2 "D"B2c2|"G"d2 de d2 g2|"D"fedc B2A2|"G"G4 d4||
    "G"g2g2 "Em"f2e2|"G"d2 de dc B2|"C"c2 cd cB A2|"D"B2>c2 B2d2|\
    "G"g2g2 "Em"f2e2|"G"d2 de d2 g2|"D"fedc B2A2|"G"(G4 G4)||
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks for doing all the work JLewis, I just added two colons so the A and B parts are repeated (though I’m not sure if this is how it’s played everywhere). And nice to hear from more SAW members.

X:1
    T:12. PAT-A-CAKE POLKA (polkas)
    T:Uncle Bernard's Polka
    R:Polka
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:G
    "G"G2A2 "D"B2c2|"G"d2 de dc B2|"C"c2 cd cB A2|"D"B2>c2 B2A2|\
    "G"G2A2 "D"B2c2|"G"d2 de d2 g2|"D"fedc B2A2|"G"G4 d4:|
    "G"g2g2 "Em"f2e2|"G"d2 de dc B2|"C"c2 cd cB A2|"D"B2>c2 B2d2|\
    "G"g2g2 "Em"f2e2|"G"d2 de d2 g2|"D"fedc B2A2|"G"(G4 G4):|

No problem Ginny, Google is having a hard time with captcha at the moment