Week #516 ~ Three Little Birds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks winner is Three Little Birds, a Bob Marley song. Maybe we will have some submissions that include singing!

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    ummmm
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Boy we're really jumping the shark this week.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Is this a three chord song?
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It sure is
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yes, it's a simple tune/song. Yes, it's 3 chords (but then, there are lots of songs out there that are just 3 chords). It was suggested, it was voted on. Maybe it's not your cup of tea. Maybe you think it's too simple. Maybe you think it's not a mandolin tune. But..... there are plenty of people out there who don't care for bluegrass. or old time, or Irish, or fiddle tunes. Plenty of people out there who can't play complicated tunes. They either don't participate when the winner isn't a tune they care to learn, or they play along, giving it the old college try. Since it WAS suggested as a poll tune, and since it was voted on, I hope that we do get some contributions! :-)
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes Ginny, 1X24X7X2=336!
    (Hours)
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon - how'd my name get in here? ...all I said was...ummmm. I was actually hoping that you should don a black wig and get a ukulele and do this song...or whoever voted for it.
    I agree with Barbara - someone suggested it, voted on it and therefor it should hold as much weight as any others. I just don't happen to have my uke tuned at the moment.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Three little birds

I think perhaps Barbara was trying to talk herself into posting one. I hope she does.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice David, thanks. And well done for leading the way on this one. Am looking forward to hearing all the others.

-and a Ukulele is ok by me, at least, I’m not instrumentist.
    Remembering we get 97/100 just for posting.
    Star presentation is hardly 1 1/2 points.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was MOST excellent! Don't worry! Every Little Thing, is Gonna be ALL RIGHT!!!!!
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hats off to David for taking on the challenge and rockin' it !
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    A brilliant rendition from David shows us all what can be accomplished if we put our minds to it.
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    brilliant David, thats my day started with a smile. thanks
  15. Matt
    Matt
    Terrific!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS

17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Oh Simon, you are a trooper. You and David. And funnily enough it's good !! ( although I still don't know how you can playing, lying down)
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice. Billie Eilish vocal stylings too! You should cover some of her songs.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny and David. Ok I might try some on the mandolin.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks David and Simon. I’m certainly not going to post this week because I’m not relaxed enough.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine efforts, both of you. As Frithjof says, I too will not be having a go at this one even after your sterling efforts!
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    In that case I’m going to have to post an attempt at The Squirrel Hunters (Week #6), motley band of unrelaxed renegades that you are!
  23. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Fantastic, both of you! You've given some joyful mando-twists to Marley-toons
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay, Marc, rock version!

@Frithjof
    Sorry to hear that Frithjof, some weeks are hard like that. Hope it’s better soon.
    -It’ll be fine if you post just a verse within 2-3 weeks.
  25. Matt
    Matt
    Simon,way to be!
  26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Available for a limited time is my less than stellar attempt of Three Little Birds. The only reason I'm posting this is because I spent so much time and energy working on it. Please forgive my Milli Vanilli lip synch debacle and the the fact that I can' seem to read the damn lyrics when I'm singing, which by the way I hate, my signing that is. I am proud of the drum programming, I think it sounds like Reggae.

27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job David, that's one to remember
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Star material there David, as usual. You get the full 1 1/2 points I guess -though it’s not me to say, have to ask the judges, Ginny and Barbara, they’ll be posting soon.

And I really dig your exercise bicycle, is that a Reggae too?
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Watching David Hansen’s performance in the morning made me a little relaxed for today. Thanks, David.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great work, David. You have surpassed yourself here! I bet Marley never imagined your instrumentation when he was doing this song.
  31. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Three great versions of a song that's unusual for the mandolin!
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Just when you think you've heard it all.....and besides that who knew David was a soprano ? You're all good sports.
  33. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Wow, this just keeps getting better

Cool version, David. Got the Reggae bopping there.
  34. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    This looked like too much fun to pass up, everyone was having such fun with it and it's way out of my wheelhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux9NdKlXVkQ

35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That was fun, Mark.
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Cool Marc, I can imagine hearing this on the radio, nice management of the different instruments.

That’s four of us swimming around.
    Come on in guys the water’s fine!
  37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kudos to all of you! All versions were so enjoyable!
  38. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Mark, you definetly got the reggae vibe. In regards to Barbara's comment on listing the instruments being played when we post, I agree it's a good idea. Martin always does this so he should be commended. For Three Little Birds I played a Sobell octave mandolin tuned AEAE, Fender Telecaster electric guitar, Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord using the organ setting, German made, no name double bass and I programmed an Alesis SR16 drum machine for the reggae drum parts. I also did a bad impersonation of Milli Vanilli when singing .
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, I agree too, the technical details of the video are important.
    For my video on this occasion it was my Nepal, green and white bird watching woolen sweater (hand made), and a pair of perfectly fitting very expensive, green, Turkish, tough-but-soft, denim trousers that I found for 2 pounds in a second hand shop in England.
    The rest is personal.
  40. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I used multiple mandolin tracks, programmed bass & drums through my Ableton DAW. My only mandolin family instrument is a Washburn M106SWK, and that was all I used here, playing chords straight through in one track and playing a little riff + goofing around in another track and using a few effects. I didn’t spend much time working on mandolin chops for this, still the whole process required At least 8 hours yesterday.

Edit: Sometimes I make videos of myself playing like most of us do here; in that case I have to add more hours to video production getting the audio and video to synch. I'm an amateur using amateurish tools and having fun with it when I can do it.
  41. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Well Mark, that is also excellent. I cannot believe that four people took up the cause for this song.
    Simon, you break me up.
  42. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm just so impressed! How do you guys put together such quality videos so quickly, with a song that must be outside every mandolin player's comfort zone? Barbara wondered in one of the posts above whether people would find it too easy. On the contrary, I'm finding it hard to get my head around this one.
  43. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Dennis I was thinking that it could be reasonably easy if it was played as a three chord song, just chops on the upbeat all the way through. Then vocals are just spoken ( with feeling, of course).
    I actually found the rhythm for singing quite difficult. The singing itself though is just like mandolin, anyone who can talk can sing, it’s just practice. I practiced singing a LOT for a year, you can tell, right? No? Ha, Ha. Well I did!

By the way, I really like Marc’s vocal style, in parts almost spoken.
  44. Matt
    Matt
  45. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well, here you go then. You asked for it.

46. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Brilliant Dennis! That’s what we were looking for and nice accompaniments too. No worries, Peace and Love!
  47. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well done, Dennis. I see you in a whole different light after this offering. Highly impressive!
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Have you guys ever been with a whole load of friends having a good time and you suddenly think, wait a minute, someone’s missing, hiding?

-Bertram?
  49. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Dennis, that was great, I knew you could do it. Come to think of it, where is Bertram? and Ginny too.
  50. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great work Dennis. That came out nicely. Can this end now? (well after Bertram does it) I think all of these will be used as blackmail in the future. (which is why I'm saving them all - mwahaha)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast