Domra

1. SlinkySlinky
    SlinkySlinky
    Simon DS ask me for video i play domra.
    Tsygankov - variation on theme "Yankee Doodle"

Kotomin - Spanish Caprice
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, SlinkySlinky (and Simon). I enjoyed both performances a lot.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thank you -- those are lovely! Is this the four-string or three-string domra?

I've been interested in possibly getting a four-string domra myself, as I think it would complement my playing style and genres quite well, but I wouldn't know how to source a good one in the UK/Western Europe. Thomann have a cheapish 4-string domra for EUR 216, but it's made by Hora in Romania and I suspect it's not that good.

Martin
  4. Joe Dodson
    Joe Dodson
    Very nicely done. You've got an amazing tremelo!

I don't think I've ever heard a concert performance of Yankee Doodle Dandy.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very fine playing!
    I love the mellow tone in the Spanish Caprice and to see all the different, diverse techniques. Thanks very much.
    Could you recommend a Russian beginner/intermediate tune for our group? A dance tune?
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds fantastic! Бра́во!
    The Thomann domra isn't as bad as you might think, Martin.
    A nice Russion tune would be Dark Eyes/Les yeux noirs/Очи чёрные

If even Django was able to play it, it shouldn't be any problem for the SAW group.
  7. SlinkySlinky
    SlinkySlinky
    Thank you very much! You all are so kind. I play 3-strings domra. I don't know about quality of fabric domras( Most of all instruments in Russia are hand crafted. And historically it is 3-strings. I know 4-strings are popular in Ukrain
  8. SlinkySlinky
    SlinkySlinky
    About Russian music. There are huge archive of sheet music for domra with piano accompaniment. Include beginner tunes (Альбом начинающего домриста). And intermediate (Домристу-любителю.)
    https://domracheev.ru/trehstrunnaya-domra/s.html.
    Popular folk dance music for exmple:

Moon shines

http://allnotes.info/domra/andreev-v-svetit-mesyac
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oops, I tried to open one of the .rar files from the above site using my Iphone 6 and now it gets indigestion when trying to open embedded YouTube files...
    Telephones have their limits I guess.
    No computer wizzes here? Would really like to hear these vids.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    There's still one question I have about domra playing technique, especially when executed by Russian domra players:
    all the playing movement seems to come from the forearm, the wrist is practically stiff:

Why is that so?
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    @SlinkySlinky that’s a great performance, really enjoyed it, thanks.

CC, I was wondering about volume and speed of the pick when it contacts the strings, with the sort of whiplash of the wrist?
    -I’ve not tried this but the performers appear to be quite relaxed for the amount of power and effort involved.
    ‘Dark eyes’ is a nice one, have to learn it it , thanks.
  12. SlinkySlinky
    SlinkySlinky
    Thanks! When i playing I move my forearm, and wrist is fixed. But it's important don't fix it by strength. Otherwise, your arm will get tired. Arm is relaxed but not weak and lax
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    SlinkySlinky -- thanks for the link to the domra archive, which works fine for me. Lots of interesting music there which will also work on mandolin. I've only scratched at the surface but as far as I can see, it's indeed all solo domra plus piano so I'll have to think how to adapt the piano part to a different instrumentation.

Martin
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m trying to find the site of the Russian Doc Watson!
    That would be a playlist of old Russian folk songs played acoustically on Domra with a little fiddle, and maybe balalaika and definitely bass.
    Like an Irish session band playing in someone’s house, but Russian!
    Russian Oldtime music.
  15. SlinkySlinky
    SlinkySlinky
    Oh i understand, but it's hard to find something like that. I think Russian Folk is not popular in Russian, besides some songs.
    There are many quartets like that. But they arrange the music too much.

Check this channel. I think it is close to what you want)

Or professinal folk music (but without domra or balalaika)
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks SlinkySlinky these are great!
  17. Jairo Ramos Parra
    Jairo Ramos Parra
    I have a collection in alphabetical order of music for domra, downloaded centuries ago from a Russian site ... if anyone is interested, I could put it in dropbox, they are more than 400 megabytes of pdfs ...
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes Jairo, I’m interested.
  19. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Those videos are a lot of fun!
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes I was thinking a summer camp like this would be a lot of fun, with workshops on music theory, and
    how to play the domra, and balalaika and some popular Russian songs too.

The first class I would take, on the first day, would be the ‘how to not get badly injured while having fun throwing large pieces of vegetation at each other’ class. There’s a lot to learn.

I did notice that the young woman in the second vid struck the man on the back for fun with the small piece of wood, the drum stick.

But, he didn’t appear to like this. Was it too small?
  21. Jairo Ramos Parra
    Jairo Ramos Parra
    O.k. I'll post them in the European folk forum ...
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks Jairo,

I think the siterip you have posted is from the same site as linked earlier in this thread (domracheev.ru), but the Dropbox interface is much more user-friendly compared to the .rar compressed Yandex downloads from the original site.

I had in fact found the Shostakovich gavotte I've uploaded over the weekend (Link) in a PDF from the Domracheev site, although in the end I used a score from a different source, which included the second violin part.

Martin