The Wind on the Heath

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a traditional Scottish tune which I learned from a friend, Scottish fiddler and fiddle tutor Jean-Ann Callender. She plays it as a slow air and the arrangement I have used, got from Jean, is by Alec Sim, who was the founder of the Aberdeen Strathspey and Reel Society away back in 1928. I have alternated the melody and harmony between mandolin and octave, and added guitar chord backing.

Pictures are from near my home and were taken on a frosty morning on 30th November.

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very peaceful tune, sounds great, John!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice combination of instruments and also the weaving of harmony with the melody and the rhythm. Well done.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks John. This is indeed such a peaceful tune and performed with so many wisdom and experience as musician.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice John on many levels. Fiona took some grand pictures.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very enjoyable, John. Great sensitivity and timing, and the tune goes so well with those photos.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all, for your kind remarks. The tune is one that is not nearly so commonly played and one that deserves more exposure, I think.
  8. Leo37
    Leo37
    I like the chamber music character and also the photos.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa, did I miss out. But it's never too late for a dose of peace enough to last all Christmas. Somewhere over the rainbows - or over the Clyde
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    On a Thuringia waldzither, Bertram!
  11. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very beautiful John.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    If this tune needs more exposure, why don't we nominate it as a song-a-week? Or has this already been done?
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, John! I found a source for the bare-bones tune and chords, but that harmony is lovely and makes it so much richer!

Martin