Week #510 ~ Grey Owl

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Grey Owl, which was submitted as an Old Time fiddle tune.

Here is a link to standArd notation. Please note the tab in this link, is guitar, not mandolin.

Here’s a video

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I wrote out the TAB using the guitar TAB, but without grace notes, and it definitely sounds well crooked.
    -corrections welcome

Grey Owl PDF

X:1
    T:Grey Owl
    R:reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    DB,|:A,B,DE FEDB,|A,B,DEF2 ED|EFGA BAGF|EFGA B2 BA|
    Bcde ef2f|fedc B2BB|[M:2/4]BB dc|[M:4/4]BGBd cAce|
    1cdDA dADB,:|2cdDA defg|:a2af dcde|fgfd B2FE|
    FB2A Bcde|fedf e2fg|a2af dcde|fgfd B2FE|
    FB2A Bcde|fdec d2fg:|fdec d4|]
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    This is a great tune. Chip Bach recorded a very nice slower version. He's a great guy and knows how to make a tune playable with a nice groove.

Here's his wonderful version and me covering Chip Bach.

and me

4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Hendrik, and what sounds like a rise from the key of D to the IIm (Em)and then to the VIm (Bm, maybe) so cool.

And played as a hornpipe, well now we’re talking...
    As luck would have it I’ve just been metronoming myself using D-U, D-U, on The Squirrel Hunters, another groovy tune.

Thanks for the link and the motivation.

(also thanks Barbara)
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The slower version is a good find. I'm not just saying that because I can't play fast! Listening to the faster version, I didn't like this tune that much. The slower version seems to have more groove and melody to me.

Regarding the Chip Bach and Hendrik Luurtsema videos, I'm sure we all agree that it's impossible to tell which is the original and which is the cover. You've made the tune your own!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok so here’s something about the subtle differences in technique between the versions (that I think I can see). Talk about the magic another time.

The Molly Tuttle version would be played d-Du, d-Du as the pick direction. Four strokes.

The other two versions can be played d-u, D-u with hammer-ons if you need to play the centre ‘-‘ as a note.
    If played much slower still they can be played d-d, D-d. (notice there are six, or twelve strokes that would be on the metronome and the ‘-‘ can be played as an upstroke ‘u’. Therefore cleaner.

On the comparison between Chip and Hendrik, I really like that Chip does slur into the different passages, and I like that Henrik doesn’t.
    Hendrik’s is cleaner, more Classical and easier to decipher -especially the more difficult parts. (much appreciated).

Chip is a master at clipping the notes. Notice at :34 he plays a note and then a little too soon, it seems, he lifts his fret finger off. This clips the note and almost stops the tune in it’s tracks, which in turn even more accentuates the rolling rhythm.
    And on...
    I was going to say that Hendrik’s is more elegant but they both are, in their own ways.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for posting those two, @Hendrik! These two slower, groovier versions make me want to learn the tune, and help me understand the faster version (I still prefer the slower ones though). And now I want to learn more about Chip Balch!

I also love the differences between your & Chip's versions. Different, and both great. Thanks again.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is such a catchy tune, and so well played on all three videos. I too favour the slower versions, thought the interplay between the musicians on Molly's version is just so great. They are really tuned in to each other.
    Hendrik and Chip add something to the tune by the way they play it, each making the tune his in his delivery of it.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Hendrik.
    The more I listen to the recordings above I like the tune. Of course Hendriks slower version is quite too fast for me …
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great playing of a nice tune, Hendrick!
    I just printed out the sheet music, and tomorrow, I'll see what I can do with it...
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    @Frithjof: Yes, the slow version is too fast for me, too!
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    the interplay between the musicians on Molly's version is just so great. They are really tuned in to each other.
    +1, John!!
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Problem with the first version is that when Molly started playing her guitar I thought, ‘oh you guys, can you just quieten it down for the rest of the tune?’ Ha, ha.
  14. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    This sounds so much fun to play.... It's time to get practicing I think....

There's some more versions and a transcription here...
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...lin-Tab-Anyone
  15. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for posting that link, @Njugglebreck - John Arcand's original version is quite a ride! Thank you Jim Garber. I can picture a stifling grange hall on a Friday summer night, with everyone dancing to his version.

Metis fiddle music - another world opens up in front of me ...
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    I watched this Bluegrass lesson with Molly Tuttle, and at 5:45, she mentions, that she uses a Dunlop 207 pick, a pretty thick jazz pick.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etg152GcDgI
    Ah, I thought, that's the key to her speed. I remembered, that I also have a Dunlop 207,
    I searched it, found it, and tried to play Grey Owl at Molly's speed. Didn't work out.
    So I grabbed my Hense pick made of casein plastic, which gives me the best sound on my cheap tenor guitar
    and played GreyOwl at a relaxed swing pace, which was still a challenge for me.
  17. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    That worked out well. It sounds great. I often prefer tunes at slower speeds. Maybe because that is the tempo I have to play them at.
  18. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    very Sweet Crisscross! It's a pleasure to listen to this
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, really enjoyable, thanks CC.
  20. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well, Dunlop 207 or not, that is a satisfying version. Well done, CC.
  21. Leo37
    Leo37
    Wonderful laid back playing.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good version, Christian. Your instruments sound well together.
  23. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks a lot guys!
  24. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice CC indeed. I've been a little under the weather so I hope you will forgive my tardiness.
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine version, Christian. Lovely bounce to your playing here.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The Grey Owl.
    Here’s where I am with this critter at the moment.
    Will almost certainly post another one later.
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Solid work. Thanks.
  28. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well, I think I'm clocking the slowest version on this great tune, not that anyone's checking! I stole a bit from all the above versions. Mandola lead & rhythm, acoustic rhythm guitar as well, played in G. And in the fadeout, the pair of Little Owls that perch on our roof every night.

The picture is of our neighbor's "grey owl", an intimidating hunk of plastic with reflective eyes and a head that turns every minute or so. Apparently, no one told the pigeons or starlings to be afraid

NCC (No Christmas Content) in this one, but wishing everybody the joy of the season, and a great year to come.

29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I really enjoyed your version, bbcee.