Week #508 ~ Rose of Tralee

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Rose of Tralee, which was submitted as an Irish tune. It also has words, for those that are interested!

Here is a link to standard notation and abc on thesession.org.

Here are some YouTube videos

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    "The Rose of Tralee" is a 19th-century Irish ballad in waltz time, written by Edward Mordaunt Spencer to music by Charles William Glover. It has since given rise to the annual Rose Of Tralee beauty pageant and festival.

Listening to recordings online, the tempo is very variable, from extremely slow (usually the old crooners) to quite lively (usually the instrumental/fiddle versions). Mine is roughly in the middle of the range.

For my recording, I've used a transcription from a free online tunebook at:

http://www.cmcadelaide.com/files/music/cmc.pdf

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds really fine Martin!
    Thanks for the link to the songbook!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great opening for our Week #508.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian and Frithjof. It's a pretty straightforward tune, but fun to play on mandolin. I also just got my Vinaccia bowlback again, and this tune suits its tone - it has that Victorian parlour quality.

Martin
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is very pretty Martin. I like the tempo.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Martin.
  8. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    That really does sound good!

I'm going to have to practice slower tempos a lot before I try a version ...
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    In Germany we have a saying: That was a difficult birth, meaning something didn't happen that easily.
    That was the case with my version of this week's tune.
    I chose this arrangement:http://www.franzdorfer.com/t/the-rose-of-tralee
    But in the middle part, the chords change quite rapidly and I didn't manage to do that porperly on guitar.
    So I was glad for the link to the tunebook Martin published, for this version has a bit less chords.
    I replaced the chords of the middle part of my version with those found in the tunebook,
    recorded chords and melody only to discover, that there was a terrible noise on the guitar track.
    So I rerecorded the whole tune, it got a little faster in the process...
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds fine CC. Reminds me of Christmas and the snow in Germany back in the 1950/60’s.
    The backing track sounds good too.
    -I’m still trying to work out how to do a guitar backing track...
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is a beautiful tune and so well done CC. I didn't notice any guitar chord abnormalities, it sounded smooth and clear here. I like the " that was a difficult birth" saying..I'm going to use that on something.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two great versions there! I'm enjoying catching up on this group. So much good music to brighten mornings, days and evenings.

I don't play guitar at all, so I admire any guitar backing track. It sounds very good to me in your recording.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks atsunrise, Ginny and Gelsenbury!
    The guitar on this recording is OK, the problems were in my previous efforts.