La vie en rose

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    La vie en rose (Piaf/Louiguy)

This is my instrumental cover of this French chanson, written in 1945 by Louiguy to words by Edith Piaf.

I'm using a harmony part from an anonymous arrangement for two violins on Musescore (CC A-SA, 4.0):

https://musescore.com/user/1089156/scores/5520102

I have added tenor guitar chords found online:

C///Am/DmGDm/G/DmGCGC////C7/F/Fm/C/Dm/D+GC///Dm/C/

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I enjoyed that too, Martin.
  3. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I enjoyed it too. It makes me want to work on my tremolo.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another re-record of an arrangement we also play with our group. For this new version, I have played the harmony line on mandocello rather than second mandolin, and also use a different backing style.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That does sound much nicer Martin. It adds a depth not in the previous one. This tune is still on my list, I love it. The atmosphere of Edith Piaf in a dusky club is very present here, with some nice breaths between parts.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful again!
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny and Frithjof. I agree that dropping the harmony by an octave and giving it to the mandocello does add depth. This is how we've been playing it with our group, the OM taking the harmony, so I've had more practice with this tune since my original take (which was recorded more or less on first sight).

Of course, as with all these new recordings I have more leeway for rubato as there is no click track and this has the biggest effect in songs and slow airs rather than dances.

Martin
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another great re-recording, Martin, and the mandocello certainly adds depth. It is so liberating to get away from click tracks and metronomes for many of the tunes we play. They have their place in practice and rehearsing and as teaching aids, but there's nothing like a nice bit of rubato to let a tune breathe, as Ginny says. My excuse for irregular tempos anyway!
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your point is well made, John. This melody certainly benefits from the rubato. And the arguments made by Ginny and Martin about the depth added by the mandocello are a lesson in arrangement, too. Very nicely played!