L'air Mignonne - French Canadian tune.

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Enjoy !
    A lively French Canadian tune played by me (mandolin, octave X2, bodhran) and Emory Lester on fiddle and bass and a 7 track engineering feat. The French Canadians are known for their spirited music, festivals and lots of fireworks. This was composed by Simon Riopel of Montreal, Quebec. All pics are from Quebec festivals.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I did! Lovely simple and joyful tune, thanks.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That's a cool tune, played well. Congratulations.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Ginny and Emory.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice tune, and a great arrangement with all those instruments blending so well. The melody reminds me a little bit of the Inisheer waltz, turned into a much more lively and upbeat 4/4.
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds really good, I especially like the bodhran!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you kind folk. The standard notation is on The Session.org in "A" which I changed to "G" for ease of fast chord changes. There is a bodhran track on YouTube - i learned the beat, played it on my own bodhran and then just kept repeating it. The octave was played in the standard tuning for one track and GDAD for another (on 5th fret) . Also the G and D strings have one mandolin and one octave string each - makes for a different sound. Also Emory played the fiddle first in the high octave and then in the low octave. He is multi-instrumentally talented. After all that, it is actually a fun tune and easy on the fingers to play.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Just like you wrote: spirited music … and lots of fireworks.
  9. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Wow! Well done. Great tune and your multi-track engineering and mixing work really paid off. I like it.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whooohooo!

Congrats, and greetings from Orkney!
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you ALL for your comments. As uncomplicated as the music is for this song, it took a lot of work to make it into a decent production, so I appreciate your comments very much. And Bertram enjoy your adventure.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I really like this tune so I gave it a shot, it's pretty rough in spots but I ran out of time for perfection. I Learned that the composer plays the tune in AEAE tuning on the fiddle so I tuned both my octave mandolin and my mandolin to AEAE tuning for this recording. It does make it easier to play in that tuning.

13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I think it sounds great David.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks David. Nice. I always marvel when I hear someone play a tune and I think of all their time and dedication that went into just a short couple of minutes of performance. I think about it, or maybe I feel about it.

And the struggles too, being a musician is not easy. As a kid in the 60’s, I was once told by a adult that it was girls who study music not men.
    Ha, ha.