The Bear Dance - Ginny Aitchison and John Kelly

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

I hope you enjoy this older European tune that John Kelly and I did. Also if you're on my page, I have another tune I just posted called 'Eternal Friendship' accompanied by my daughter on flute.
  2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds very nice Ginny and John!
    And looking at the pictures, you think: "ah, what nice creatures..."
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks CC - the picture near the end of the hiker meeting up with the grizzly - makes me want to scream and run, which is what you are not supposed to do.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a great tune and very well done as well!
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice, well done.
    In medieval festivals in the past, they often had bears that were trained to dance.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A lovely rendition capturing the heavy elegance of these creatures (though some of them seem to think otherwise, facepalming)
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    What a nice cooporation between both of you. I enjoyed it very much!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind words, all. Ginny always manages to get really good pictures to add to our collaborations and I enjoy seeing how the music will blend with the visuals. Looking forward to our next venture, and by the size of those bears, I am glad I am the Scottish half of this partnership!
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    We do have a lot of bears in Canada - black ones, brown ones, grizzly ones and polar bears. There are different safety precautions for each species, although I'm sure I won't have to practice Polar Bear safety unless they escape from the zoo.
    Thank you for the comments. The 'other' song, which I didn't post here, called Eternal Friendship is a duet with my daughter on the flute and some family photos thrown in. The ones I like best are..the little girl feeding the pony carrots is my daughter (the flute player) and the picture right beside it is her all grown up with the same pony who only died a few years ago. The last photo is my Dad at the Veterans Centre Long term care (at age 97 3/4). It's actually a violin tune but we all know that's where we get many of our mando tunes. Enjoy the day today and thank you for your comments.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a nice one, Ginny and John.
  11. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Great job Ginny & John. I always enjoy your collaborations.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff, good on ye both!
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I don’t know the origin of the sheet music used by Ginny and John. There are of course various settings in The Session as a polka. But I prefer the melody and chords like you recorded the tune. That’s why I wrote it down and made me an ABC. Now I can transpose it to any key and can play along in any tempo.

X:3
    T:The Bear Dance
    L:1/4
    M:4/4
    I:linebreak $
    K:Bmin
    f/e/ |"Bm" f B B f/e/ | f B B d/e/ | f f e d |"A" e3 d/e/ |"Bm" f f"A" e/d/ c |
    "Bm" d d"A" c/B/ A |"G" B/c/ d c/B/ A |"Bm" B3 f/e/ |$ f B B f/e/ | f B B d/e/ | f f e d |
    "A" e3 d/e/ |"Bm" f f"A" e/d/ c |"G" d d"A" c/B/ A |"Bm" B/c/ d"A" c/B/ A |"Bm" B4 |:$
    B/c/ d B/c/ d |"A" c A A2 |"Bm" B/c/ d B/c/ d |"A" e3 d/e/ |"D" f f"A" e/d/ c |
    "Bm" d d"A" c/B/ A |"Bm" B/c/ d"A" c/B/ A |"Bm" B4 :|
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof that helps a lot.
    I like it in Am -it’s an easier key to try to get kids motivated to play ukulele accompaniment. And then you get:
    ‘oh but it’s sooo boring, Dad, I want to play a lead instrument!’
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    By the way, I’ve just read an interesting text about the Brown Bear, and the Bear cults in Europe in the middle ages. It was a time of extremely cold winters, and the Bear and the cults were demonised by Christianity. The Christians apparently arrived on the scene with their sheep and the bear was seen as a competitor. To be bear-like began to mean being savage and filthy, whereas before, they were treated as part of the family like dogs and cats now. The bear worshipping festivals were band, and forests were cleared for grazing. Worse still, it was frowned upon to sleep with a pet baby bear, a popular pastime.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the text is in French.