Festivals

1. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Let's pool our collective sources and create a list of upcoming festivals. Maybe we'll run into each other!
  2. Yellowmandolin
    Yellowmandolin
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the MACC Classic on the South side of Columbus starting July 22. It is a great pickers festival, has very good bands (http://www.bluegrassclassic.com/star.html), and supports a really, really, really, really, great thing. Tickets can be a bit spendy, but are also 90% tax deductible.

Needless to say, I'll be there!
  3. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 1-4

June 3 Greensky Bluegrass, Victorians Midnight Café, 251 W. Fifth Ave., Columbus. 8 p.m.- 12:30 a.m. Info: 614-266-2446.

June 4-6 Appalachian Uprising Bluegrass Festival, Eden Valley Farm, Scottown, Ohio. Featuring Sam Bush, Larry Keel & Natural Bridge, the Hillbilly Gypsies, the Davisson Brothers Band, Blind Corn Liquor Pickers, Dehlia Low, Lary Keel’s Allstar Band, Melvin Goins & Windy Mountain, Larry Cordle & Lonesome Standard Time, the Steep Canyon Rangers, ETA and more. Free bean supper Thursday, primitive camping with campfires allowed. Info: 216-326-3293 or online at www.appalachianuprising.net and www.myspace.com/appalachianuprising.
  4. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 6-11

June 6 Hard Times Acoustic Festival, Johnson Farm, Camden-West Elkton Road, Camden, OH. $3 admission, local bands. 1:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.

June 6 Amish Country Bluegrass Festival, Holmes County Expo Center, Walnut Creek, Ohio. Rhonda Vincent & the Rage, Marty Raybon & Full Circle, Williams & Clark Expedition, Nothin’ Fancy, the Moron Brothers, & the Hart Brothers. Info: www.holmescountyexpo.com or 330-893-2442 ext 201.

June 7 Stockdale Family Band, WOUB’s D28 plus 5 Bluegrass Showdown radio program on 91.3 FM. 2-3 p.m. 740-593-1771.

June 11-13 Bluegrass in the Hills, Mickey’s Family Campground, 88101 Ford Rd., Hopedale, Ohio. Audie Blalock & Red Line, Karl Shiflett & Big Country, the Hart Brothers, the Hillbilly Gypsies, 3rd Generation, Buck & Company, Bluegrass Express, Awesome Possum, Tall Grass, Idletymes, Mueller Family, Salt Creek Inc. & Wheeling Park Bluegrass. 5 p.m. Thurs., 11 a.m. Fri & Sat. Info: 740-946-5631 and online at www.mickeysmtn.com.
  5. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 12-19

June 12 Grassahol, bluegrass happy hour at Byrne’s Pub, 1248 W. Third Ave., Grandview. 7-9 p.m.

June 13 Slate Ridge, North Market, across from the Columbus Convention Center. 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. Free.

June 19 Slate Ridge, bluegrass happy hour, Byrne’s Pub, 1248 W. Third Ave., Grandview. 7-9 p.m.

June 19 Grassahol, Growing Older Summer Festival, Delaware County Fairgrounds, Delaware, Ohio. 3:30-5:30 p.m. Info: 614-203-2357.

June 19-20 Poston Lake Bluegrass Festival, Poston Lake near Guysville, Ohio. Newfound Road, Summertown Road, Lou Reid & Carolina, Moron Brothers, Hart Brothers, Northwest Territory, Buck & Company, Sheppard Brothers and For His Glory. Noon both days. Info: 304-422-6956.
  6. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 20

June 20 Slate Ridge at Newark’s Bluegrass in the Park. Noon-1.

June 20 Appalachian Opry (an evening of music, comedy and fun) at the Famous Old Time Music Company, 20322 U.S. Route 33 in Wapakoneta, Ohio. 7-9:30 p.m. Info: 419-568-1220.

June 20 The Second Wind Bluegrass Duet at the Reynoldsburg Pioneer Days at the Livingston House, 1792 Graham Road in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Noon-4 p.m. Info: 614-861-0291.
  7. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 24-27 - West Virginia

June 24-27 Music in the Mountains Bluegrass Festival at the Summersville Music Park, 6461 Webster Road in Summersville, W. Va. Featuring Rhonda Vincent & the Rage, Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys, Dailey & Vincent, the Grascals, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Bobby Osborne & the Rocky Top X-Press, Jesse McReynolds & the Virginia Boys, Raymond Fairchild & the Maggie Valley Folks, IIIrd Tyme Out, Country Current, James King Band, Lorraine Jordan & Carolina, Big Country Bluegrass, Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, Eddie & Martha Adcock with Tom Grey, the Gary Waldrep Band, the Moron Brothers, the Primitive Quartet, Goldwing Express, Larry Gillis Band, Summertown Road, Tennessee Gentlemen, Melvin Goins & Windy Mountain and Lonesome Meadow. Tickets: 706-864-7203 or www.aandabluegrass.com.
  8. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    June 26-28

June 26-28 Appalachian Mountain Music Festival featuring Old-Time, Celtic, gospel and bluegrass at the city park next to Waynesville High School on Dayton Road at the intersection of US 42 and SR 73 in Waynesville, Ohio (Warren County). Old Time fiddle and banjo contests, contra dancing, music workshops, gospel sing, jamming and storytelling. Info:www.appalachianmusic.org or 937-862-5551.

June 28 Vernon McIntyre & Appalachian Grass at Lakeshore Park in Celina, Ohio. 6:30-8 p.m. Info: 419-568-1220.

June 28 Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, Don Rusk Memorial Park, New Lebanon, OH, 5-7 p.m. FREE!
  9. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Tracy not sure you had this one you had so many:

There is the Jerusalem Ridge Bluegrass Celebration Festival in Rosine, KY on October 1 to 4, 2009. The line up is awesome and of course there is a lot WSM memories and celebrations by the home folks who knew him.

http://www.jerusalemridgefestival.org/
  10. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Hi Bernie, I was only doing Ohio this morning. Figured I'd start digging around and see what else I could find in neighboring states later. There's also Bean Blossom in southern Indiana; not sure of the dates on it.
  11. coletrickle
    coletrickle
    Appalachian Mountain Music Festival, June 26-28 in Waynesville Ohio. http://http://www.appalachianmusic.org/
    This is a great "old time" festival that features jamming, performances at three different stages, crafts, etc. All of the bands are volunteer, including some really talented players like Ann and Phil Case from the Dayton area. There is also a fiddle and banjo contest. Highly recommended, especially for families.
  12. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Ann & Phil Case are great; had the opportunity to see them open for Dry Branch Fire Squad at Canal Street several months ago. She has a beautiful voice, and it's amazing to watch him play banjo and harmonica at the same time!
  13. JayFray
    JayFray
    Appalachian Uprising June 4th,5th, and 6th...
    Killer lineup, beautiful location, amazing time!!! This will be my 5th year, can't wait!!!
    http://www.appalachianuprising.net/
  14. Frank Johnson
    Frank Johnson
    June 18, 19 & 20 2009

The Washboard Music Festival is an annual extravaganza held in the streets of small town America.

The annual festival provides wholesome, family entertainment. You can enjoy the foot-tappin' styles of Dixieland Jazz, Jug Music, Celtic, Blues and Cajun Zydeco, played by bands from all around the country, while you enjoy great food, browse the streets filled with quality craft vendors and enjoy the many special events, including our festive Saturday evening parade, classic car show, clog dancers and many more. For the kids, we have an entire city block of FREE rides, games and live entertainment. That's right, thanks to many generous local businesses and citizens, we provide all kid's rides and entertainment TOTALLY FREE.

So kick off the Ohio summer festival season by visiting Ohio's Most Unique Music Festival, and begin an annual Father's Day tradition in Logan, Ohio.

http://washboardfestival.com/
  15. Roger Mace
    Roger Mace
    Hi,

I'll beat Yvonne in reminding that the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra will be hosting this year's CMSA convention in Dayton, October 28th - November 1st. You can check out the latest details as they develop on our site: http://daytonmandolin.net for which I am the webmaster.http://daytonmandolin.net We also have links to other mandolin orchestras and ensembles around the globe(but mostly USA :-).
  16. kathrynrene
    kathrynrene
    Ah, TheBuckeye beat me to the punch! The convention is going to be fabulous! But I hope you'll check out DMO, too, and I say that as chair of the convention committee! Our rehearsal schedule is posted. Bring your instrument, a music stand, and a pencil. Let us know you're coming so we can have music for you. You need to read notation or tab. We welcome all levels of players. We perform regularly in southwest Ohio, though we spent some time in Kalamazoo last fall. You can see all the venues we've played on the web site. We are the reincarnation of the first DMO. Here's a photo circa 1910 of the original group (vintage Gibsons to die for!): http://daytonmandolin.net/Photography/Photographs.html.

Katydid
  17. kathrynrene
    kathrynrene
    I see fans of Ann and Phil Case. Phil sometimes pulls out his Dayton mandolin, made right here in, well, Dayton by Charles B. Rauch. If you checked out the photo of the first DMO, you'll see he was the first director. Interestingly, he also was a Gibson dealer. Phil says he probably didn't write that testimonial to Gibson below the picture, as those are lines straight out of the Kalamazoo marketing office! Phil is an expert on the instruments Charlie made. . .banjos, violins, mandolins. Just ask him some time. The only instrument ever sold in our house was a Dayton mandolin. It's the only sale we regret.
  18. BIGDAD
    BIGDAD
    Hello Fellow Mando Folks, My name is Joe and I'm new to this site but glad this site exits for local and just Ohio Festival news and to possibly get to know a few of you. I am from the Bowling Green OH,area and have pickin long before these gray hairs showed up,lol. Y'all Take care and I'll read from here later
  19. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Welcome Joe! If you'll peruse the other thread, you'll find a fellow picker in Bowling Green. Can't remember who it is at this point, but I know there is one!
  20. BIGDAD
    BIGDAD
    Thanks Tracy, I appreciate your help Take Care
  21. DannyB
    DannyB
    Nova Ohio has 4 festivals a year the first of which we are playing at. http://www.countrystagemusicpark.com/

Check it out, for those pickers in Cleveland its less than an hour away.

Later
  22. DannyB
    DannyB
    This is closer for some of you! Mickey's Mountain in Hopedale, Ohio. July 9th thru the 11th is the next one. They have 3 a year, I've never been there but we are playing there the 10th of July for this one.
  23. Clif Wayland
    Clif Wayland
    There is a COBA festival at the Hartford county fairgrounds (Croton, OH) next week. July 7 thru the 11th.
    I might head over for a while, but I'm on vacation next week and not real sure what I will end up doing on any given day.
  24. Scotti Adams
    Wanna invite you all to a Fester at the General Butler State Park in Carrollton tomorrow. Yours truly will be there with Coal Train. Several other bands will also be there. Come and shake and howdy and check out my Austin Clark mando.
  25. k_rowan
    k_rowan
    Ralph Stanley and his Clinch Mountain Boys are playing the Northeast Ohio Autism Benefit Festival, at Nelson Ledges Quarry park, Sept 6th and 7th

special guests include Donna the Buffalo, The Jack Fords, Jim Miller Band, Hillbilly Idol, Tim Easton Band, more!