Far Away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Inspired by the recent waltz revival, here's one of my favorite waltzes, although I'm not playing it like a waltz here. Far Away was written by Peter Jung in 1985 and is not your typical waltz but it has it own unique character. I haven't been playing much lately so this one is rougher than usual but I really wanted to post something new.

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Brilliant work on this nice piece David. I’m glad you are back here!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine arrangement and playing of an interesting tune, David.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, David -- great to see you back! That's a lovely recording of a great tune. We also play this regularly with our group, in one of Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni's arrangements. I thought I had recorded it in the past, but looking back I don't think I have, so I'll have to get around to making my own recording.

Martin
  5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording. Thanks for sharing.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, David. I always like how you build the tunes up as you go along. This is a nice tune, I enjoyed it.
  7. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done David. At a festival I used to attend we would often play this late at night as we all tired of fast tunes. Beautiful tune.
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fantastic recording and nice pictures to with it!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised, I have now made my own recording of this lovely tune, using Evelyn's arrangement. I now understand why our group's second mandolinist always complains when we play this tune -- the B part goes polyrhythmic for three bars, with the melody played in 3 and the accompaniment in 2, which takes some getting the head around. Nice effect, though.

Pete Jung: Far Away (1985)
    Arranged by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David's back to make my day

Whoa David... that bass arrangement is huge. So this is how T Rex couples dance a waltz

Martin's rendition is different in a delicate way, and the difficult passage with 3/4 superimposed with 6/8 is more noticeable there. Such traps are more common than you might think - The Atholl Highlanders is another tune containing this shift, albeit in the other direction. I wonder what dancers say to that.

P.S. I have found what this time conundrum reminded me of, subconsciously. It is a trick that was overdone a bit (IMHO) in the Riverdance arrangements, and the dancers apparently just ignored it.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice arrangement, very well played, Martin!
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Martin, a much more danceable version of the tune than mine. I think the harmonies suit the tune well.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram, Crisscross and David -- much appreciated.

David: your version is much more dramatic. I love those crescendos and the way the arrangement builds. T Rex couples dancing describes is pretty well, except it's more graceful than that.

Bertram: good spot on the Riverdance arrangements and very funny the way the dancers completely ignore the rhythm shifts. But yes, I did have to consciously shift gear to 6/8 in the backing. I noticed David did the same with two big powerful cittern chords per bar in that phrase.

Martin
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You always present interesting arrangements, Martin. Another fine one here.
    I have gone for a slower tempo and used mandolin and octave for melody with two guitar tracks to add the backing, one playing chords in open position and the other capoed up the neck to give different chord voicings.

Video clips are of the Holy Loch (an inlet on the Firth of Clyde here in Scotland) just minutes from my home.

15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice John, clear and clean with lovely pictures to go with.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    So many great recordings of this tune. I'll have my humble offering up sometime this week (awaiting my accompanist's contribution)
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three fantastic versions. I enjoyed them all.
  18. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice versions by all three of you. I like the variations of the different recordings.
  19. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great playing, John. Looks like I have to also try this beautiful waltz...
  20. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    A really fine version John!
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very bell-like, John, I missed out on that one, been away for a few days.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind comments, gents and Ginny!
  23. crisscross
    crisscross
    Yesterday, I finally found the time to record my humble contribution to this beautiful waltz theme.
    Other than Martin, I changed from 3/4 to 6/8 in the accompaniment, when the melody did so.
    Thanks David for bringing up this nice waltz!
  24. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice John and Crisscross -- your tempos are a bit more relaxed than mine which works well.

Crisscross: I did actually change the accompaniment into 6/8 for those bars as well, the question is whether to play the melody in 6/8 or stick with the accents in 3/4. Evelyn's score appears to indicate 6/8 in the harmony and rhythm, but 3/4 in the melody. Listening back to my take, I think I pretty much play 6/8 outright for that passage, as indeed did both of you.

Martin
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good Criss, and the mood of your rendition seems to indicate a longing for homely cosiness which comes naturally when you're far away.
  26. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Oh golly I hope this works. My Movie maker programme crashed all day on and off...T'is my humble tribute to D Day - 75th Anniversary.
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Credit to Emory Lester who helped me arrange this plus he played the guitar accompaniment. Everyone has done such a nice job of this tune - so thanks to David again for bringing us a song a lot of us can actually play ! Mine obviously not a waltz...sorry. I just thought of people who were Far Away - and since my dad is a veteran (age 97) and my daughter is the curator of an RCAF museum...it seemed the thing to do.
    I PUT THE WRONG YEAR IN...I was never good at math...I edited it but it takes a bit for it to change.
  28. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds fantastic, Ginny!
  29. crisscross
    crisscross
    And thanks Martin, Bertram and Ginny!
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Crisscross, lovely rendition of this lovely tune.
    Ginny, you have married the tune and your picture content so well. The timing of the 75th Anniversary of D-Day and your recording of the tune with Emory was such a great piece of good luck too!
  31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ginny, what John said.
    Somehow, a picture of the Commando Memorial near Spean Bridge would have fitted in there, too - the place has that spirit.
  32. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very well done Ginny. I really enjoyed it.
  33. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks fellow Mando-lites. It was a rough day yesterday trying to get a time sensitive piece, with my 'other music' coming in at 6 am and a programme that kept crashing and now family saying ' how come you didn't include Dad?'. My dad is at age 97, a WW2 vet and I meant to put him in and somehow he got lost in the mayhem that was Windows media. THANK YOU for your kind words. I love this song, as I think may of us do.
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You both added your own version in your personal style, Ginny and crisscross. That’s great.
  35. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Frithjof.
  36. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John and Frithjof!
  37. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    All of these fine renditions of Far Away have made me inspired to learn this tune. My fiddle playing buddy is working on it too! Thanks.
  38. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ginny, you even have the mellow panorama sound of Emory Lester now. Everyone in their own way has played this tune really well.
  39. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm currently on a holiday that somehow isn't really a holiday ... I'm working, but visiting family in Germany at the same time and technically on annual leave but preparing for an important meeting on Wednesday!

Anyway, this is just to explain the retro video made in my mum's kitchen with my first mandolin (a Stagg M20 called Clarion, on which I made my first steps on mandolin) and no fancy microphone or overdubs. Luckily, the tune is so beautiful that it speaks for itself. And "Far Away" seemed an apt title since I'm away from the office!

40. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a fine, stripped-down version you have here, G. Great sound from your recording.
  41. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done Dennis, sounds good.
  42. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'm glad you added your beautiful rendition to the Far Away collection. Seems many of us really liked this song.
  43. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, I'm pleased you like it!

I found a brilliant accordion version of this tune on Soundcloud:

This version has more swing in it, which creates an interesting rhythm especially on the triplets. So I had a go on mandolin:

It's probably the first time in my life that I'm playing something too fast!
  44. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice version, Gelsenbury!
    I really like Waltzes with a swing feeling.
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's all good Dennis (though I doubt that anybody outside Gelsenkirchen will understand that etymologically chaotic Tee shirt)

I have my doubts about that accordion version, though - it has a Prussian marching quality to it, and the 6/8 triplets are disassembled, forcing a 3/4 pronunciation on them, so nothing is left of the lovely ambiguous syncopation.
  46. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, my cat was VERY hungry!

https://youtu.be/-bQy1EcdwRs
  47. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine up-tempo version, Simon. The tune lends itself to many different interpretations.
  48. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Relaxed picking, good sound, Simon
  49. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Right song, right man, and...right page.
  50. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Yes, it meets all the rules...there's even the author's name! Excellent music and playing too...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast