Week #495 ~ Three Owls Jig

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Three Owl Jig, an original composition by our Robert Balch. Again, I’m posting this from my phone, so I would appreciate if one of our members could provide some links!
  2. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I am honored and looking forward to hearing any versions posted.
    The only link I know for a recorded version is this:

I bekieve there was a notation conversion of the abc I supplied in the other tunes section.
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I already started working on this beautiful tune Robert...
  4. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Robert wrote: "I believe there was a notation conversion of the abc I supplied in the other tunes section."

Here is a link to that earlier thread that has the abc and link to standard notation with chord names. Nice tune, by the way.
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Although it's defenitely not needed I tried the tune a little faster. I hope you don't mind, you're version was so beautiful. I love this Jig Robert!

6. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I like it. Great version. I think faster may suit the tune better. Thanks for the post.
  7. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I like it faster, too, though I can't play it faster. This is really a sweet little tune, and the story behind it makes it even better.
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    I like both versions! The slower one also has its charms, and the faster one just sounds perfect!
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'd like to learn this one too, I love it. But my computer security won't let me at it. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it without my computer flashing yellow warning threats at me?
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ginny, I sent you a PM with the abc.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for sending me the link to the music, I appreciate it kindly and look forward to giving it a whirl.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great wee tune, Robert. That drop in bar 7 from the C to the low E is most unexpected and it took me a while to get it, as I kept wanting to play something else. Inspired me to have a try, though not at Hendrik's speed! Very fine version, by the way, Hendrik.

Mine is on mandolin with guitar backing.

13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds great, nice mandolin, fine backup, tastily played!
  14. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice version John. I really enjoyed it. It is really fun to hear other takes from around the world on a tune born in Texas! Thanks for the post.
  15. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    that's a lovely romantic version John!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, guys. Hendrik - romantic? Just my Scottish personality coming to the surface, I would claim.
  17. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Everyone knows that John.. the scots are extremely Romantic..
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three very enjoyable versions of a nice jig.
    Surprisingly Robert's sounds like Robert's. Hendrik's sounds like Hendrik's. And John's like played by John.
    Like said before: It's a pleasure to listen to all of them.

I hope it will come up a version which sound like Frithjof's soon.
  19. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I look forward to that.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Meanwhile I decided to submit the recording of kind of an impromptu session together with my brother-in-law on guitar. Three days ago we had only half an hour and he wasn’t familiar with the tune. After a few minutes I suggested to record on trial. No time afterwards to delete the mistakes.

Pictures are taken during a hike to Angels Landing within Zion National Park in June 2018. We were surprised to hear the cheep of the little owl chick around noon not far from the trail. Some minutes later we spotted the adult owl in the tree above us. It looked calmly but who knows its feelings … In the time until we came back to this part of the hiking path both had made their successful departure. Good luck!
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Frithjof!
  22. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    beautiful version with an interesting story with nice pictures Frihtjof!
  23. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Great job Frithjof. I think the pictures and story add a lot too. Thanks for the post.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the nice words, John, Hendrik and Robert. I’m happy whenever I can contribute something to the discussion.
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I add a link to Ginny’s fantastic version with very enjoyable pictures.
  26. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Hope this transfer works. Thanks. Oh there it is...thank you !!