2019-04 Tune of the Month - Lord Inchiquin

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    The Tune Of the Month for April, 2019, is Lord Inchiquin, one of several hundred tunes attributed to Turlough O'Carolan. O'Carolan was an itinerant blind harpist in the 18th century. He travelled around Ireland and paid for his keep with music, much of it composed by himself and titled to honor his host. Many regard him as the Irish national composer. His story is interesting so look him up on Wikipedia and dig in. Shoot, look up Lord Inchiquin, too, while you're at it.

This tune is in 3/4 time, but it is not a waltz. If you are not familiar with the tune, be sure to listen carefully to a few recordings at the SAW thread or on Youtube. If you read music or tabs, read along with the recording. It is easy to lose track of the phrasing if you think of it as a waltz, even though there are a few places where you might be able to fit in an inappropriate ooom-pah-pah.

Here it is in ABC (from thesession.org):
    X: 1
    T: Lord Inchiquin
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    A2|d2 de fe|d2 ed cB|A2 F2 A2|f4 e2|
    d2 ed cB|A2 G2 F2|G2 BA GF|E4 ag|
    f3e d2|d2 c2 B2|A2 F2 A2|f4 e2|
    d2 ed cB|Ad3 F2|E4 D2|D4:|
    |:A2|AB cd e2|e2 d2 e2|f2 d2 f2|e4 d2|
    de fg a2|a2 b2 g2|f3d f2|e4 d2|
    de fg a2|a2 b2 g2|f3g e2|d4 f2|
    gf e2 e2|e2 f2 d2|c2 d2 B2|A2 a2 g2|
    f3e d2|d2 c2 B2|A2 F2 A2|g4 fe|
    d2 ed cB|Ad3 F2|E4 D2|D4:|

The Song A Week thread on this tune is here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...cussionid=1159 . There are several nice renditions played in that thread.

Here's a link to sheet music: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...sic/006261.HTM
  2. Sleet
    Sleet
    It will sound splendid on that mandola.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
  4. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    I think I can waltz to almost anything written in 3/4.
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I can't waltz to anything. You win.

But I believe O'Carolan died well before there was a waltz. Besides, O'Carolan didn't lug a tuba around all over Ireland, it was a cute little harp thingie.

And if you think its hard keeping a mandolin in tune in a damp drafty old castle, try tuning up a harp. Back before there were any Snarks.
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    The more I play around with this tune, the more I like it. Waldo sounds great on this. The mandola is in the shop getting new frets. I can't wait to see how Lord Itchy sounds on it.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    The mandola came back a couple days ago and I am really pleased with the work that was done -- new frets, lightly planed the fretboard, new nut, new bridge.

https://youtu.be/oedLLIQzZS8

At the end of the video, I threw in an extra double stop way on up there just to show how well it is intonated with the new bridge. It would have sounded awful with the old one.

Waldo served me well while the mandola was in the shop, so as a reward, I am doing some refinishing work it. Definitely amateur work but so far it is looking a lot better than it did.
  8. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Great sound, Henry. You look like your left hand is accommodating the longer fingerboard well. How are you coming with alto clef?
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Truth be told, Louise, the nice thing about memorizing is that you don't have to read alto clef to play the tune. Actually, I am making progress, but I would hate to have to sightread something in alto clef. But the thing is, even treble clef is problematic because the fingerings for any note are different on mandolin and mandola -- so may as well learn alto clef at the same time.

And yes, the stretched fingerings are coming more easily now. And an added benefit - sixth fret on the mandolin no longer feels like such a stretch. Also, I tuned the mandola to DGDA for this tune - that certainly helped on the low course.
  10. Sleet
    Sleet
    Henry, I had a feeling that tune and the mandola were made for each other and you brought them together beautifully! Great to hear that you're finding the stretches easier.
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks, y'all. I am looking forward to some other folks' versions. Jump in! Plenty of time left this month, plus there are no late charges if extra time is needed.