Week #493 ~ The Noranda Mineworkers reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Noranda Mineworkers reel, which was submitted as a Canadian bluegrass/oldtime fiddletune. Unless someone can find some notation, or take the time to create some, this tune may be one that we use our ability to learn by ear!

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I learned my version from a youtube video I found, played by Patrik S. Lundgren. There were no sheet of tabs available so I played it by ear. Patrik played it a little different I think.
    I edited my version in musescore for the mandolincafe members. Good luck with it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBb...ew?usp=sharing
  3. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Luurtie, thank you very much for providing that; this is a fun one!
  4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I was curious if anyone had found more information about this hornpipe tune... within two weeks no submissions on a SAW-tune????
    here you can listen to a version at the online album of J.P. Cormier. What an incredible musician he is.. but way too fast for me.

https://jpcormier.bandcamp.com/track...he-lost-indian
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hendrik, I several times tried to find more information about the tune. Of course I was smitten with J.P. Cormier’s version. Not often I like a tune if it is played that fast…
    No other information so far.

Although I didn’t vote for it I worked on the tune the last week. I had fun but couldn’t get it right for a submission here.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Here is my nonprofessional version of the tune.
    First on mandolin and then on a considerably-too-long-for-me 26” bouzouki.

Thank you, Hendrik, for sharing the sheet music you made with us.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice playing Hendrick and Frithiof!
    Thanks for the sheet music, Hendrick! If I'll find the time, I'll try it, nice tune.
    I really like your mando Frithjoff. I guess it's called Portugese style...
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks crisscross.
    You are right about the style of my mando. I like these mandolins a lot. But not all are in this good condition. There is an album on my profile page if you are interested.
  9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice playing Frithjof!
  10. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice, Frithjof

Hendrik, while I don't record and post I do play along with most SAW tunes. This particular one happens to fall quite easily under my fingers and I've been playing it on my regular and octave mandolin quite a bit. If everyone were like me we wouldn't even have a group, and I realize I'm part of the problem. Just want you and everyone to know I enjoy this group as much as anyone.
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Kay, despite I don't always find time to reply to the recordings and messages I love this group. Anyone has to feel free to do with it whatever he or she wants to do with it. I like to make a recording every now and then but beside that this is a great resource to find new attractive tunes.
  12. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I really like this tune and hope to post a version soon. My wife and I have been traveling a bit this spring here in Texas. I have to take advantage before it gets too hot to enjoy the outdoors. When it does get too hot I will spend a lot more time trying to record tunes.
  13. bbcee
    bbcee
    Me too - this one really grabbed me - thanks @Hendrik for the tab! My mic pre/converter is due back from the shop imminently, so with any luck I'll post before my travels next week.
  14. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Incredibly late but at last I finished it! I do really like this tune.

15. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very well played Robert! It's also very nice what you did the second round, Which intruments did you use. I can't recognise them.
  16. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thanks Hendrick. The mandolin was my Weber Bighorn. The guitar I added on the second time around was my Martin D18GE. The Rhythm guitar is my Gibson J45 Studio. I think the Martin 00-28 I usually use for lead records better.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A bunch of nice instruments you own, Robert. But at first you handle them awfully good.
  18. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Frithjof - There is a funny story about how I ended up with the Martin D18GE. I call it my dyslexic guitar (Lex for short). I was in a store with quite a few really nice instruments playing through them but not planning on buying that day. When I got to the used Martin D18GE I noticed the price tag said $1295 which seemed like a pretty good price since I had usually seen these used for around $2100. I asked the salesman about it thinking there was some problem with the guitar but he assured me it was correct and there was nothing wrong with the guitar. That salesman left and I played it a while longer. Then a manager came in. I remarked that this seemed to be a good price for a Martin D18GE. He looked at the tag and said it was incorrect and should be $2195 not $1295 but since the other salesman told me it was the price he would honor that price but if I didn't take it at that time the price would be corrected. So that is how I wound up with Lex.