Three Owls Jig

1. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I used to go to the local park early in the morning and watch the sun come up while I played my mandolin. One year there were a pair of owls teaching their young one to hunt. I saw them most mornings for a week or two so I named this tune after them.
    This does seem a little like shameless self promotion but then maybe some of you will enjoy it.

2. bbcee
    bbcee
    What a lovely tune, Robert, with a great swing in the A section. Can you post the chords? I'm putting it on "the list", but it's shortcutting to the top.

Funnily enough, I just heard from an ornithologist that the recordings I sent of the birds that have been perching on our roof at 3-4AM the last several months are a mom Tawny Owl & her youngster. As much as I like to sleep, I look forward to their nightly visits.
  3. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thank you bbcee. I am not home right now and the files are there so I'll have to post them tomorrow. I have abc notation, pdf with notation and can probably export a version with tab if that is your preference.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Lovely melody and nice performance, Robert. Hope to get the pdf soon.
    Nice story behind.
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds great! Is this your Bighorn mandolin?
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely tune Robert and great playing
  7. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thank you everyone. This is my Bighorn. I emailed Weber and asked for info on this mando and got an email from Bruce Weber stating that he thought he remembered this mandolin and had wanted to keep it for himself. His wife reminded him that he already had more mandolins than anyone else in the country so he let it go.

I can't seem to figure out how to add attachments to this posting so if someone can help with that I will post the music. Since it is text I can post the abc notation version.

X:196
    T:Three Owls Jig
    C:Robert Balch
    N:
    L:1/8
    M:6/8
    K:G
    D |: "G"G2d d^cd | "Bm"F2d d^cd | "C"E2c cBc | EFG "D"B2A | "G"G2d d^cd | "Bm"F2d d^cd | \
    "C"edc "Em"BcD |1 "D"DFD "G"G2D :|2 "D"DEF "G"G3 |: "Em"E2e edB | Eee efg | "G"bag """Bm"fed | \
    "Em"Bed ""BAG | "Em"E2e "G"edB | "Em"E2e efg |1"G" gfe "D"fed | "C"edc """D"BAG :|2 "G"gfe "D"dBG | \
    "D"DFD "G"G3 |] \
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's interesting, Robert. This tune seems to fit in with a current generation of modern urban Irish tunes (out of the turf fire into Starbucks, so to speak). Especially this G-F-E sequence at the beginning rings a bell. It could be played in a set with John Sheahan's Marino Waltz without raising any eyebrows.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really nice tune! We should propose it for the group, under the heading of members' compositions. Like Bertram, I enjoy the A part especially.
  10. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    Robert, nice tune. I love jigs, especially played on mandolin or tenor banjo. Here is the standard notation (pdf) derived from Robert's abc.
  11. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That's a nice and lively tune; I've already started playing it, now I need to learn it. A big thanks to Jim Garber for converting it to standard notation. He saved me from having to go find an ABC converter. I am all for having a members' compositions section here.

It is really cool that you used to go so early and play mandolin at the park, and even cooler that you got to watch the owls.
  12. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thanks everyone.
    Jim - I appreciate you converting to standard notation. If you don't mind, how did you add the file to the post? Do you add the file somewhere else and link to it?