Playing from memory

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Bev and I currently have a house guest who sat down at Bev's piano, looked at the music that was open on the stand and said "Oh! Debussy. Clare de Lune. But it has been transposed to the key of C." Then he started to play. After a few stumbling measures, he said, "I just can't play this in C." So he closed the music book and played the whole thing, beautifully, in the key of C#. (C#? Yep, C#. What is that, 7 sharps? Mostly black keys is all I know.)

Then he started in on some Chopin nocturne. I was just fascinated, watching him play. I struggle to memorize a 16 bar reel or jig with just single notes and maybe a few double stops in one of the "easy keys". And he is just sitting there, looking off into space, using all ten fingers, a lot of black keys, (and a foot on the pedals), and running through pages and pages of beautiful music from memory.

Ah well. Back to work on another dinky little ditty.

What a treat to have him play our piano today.
  2. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    You could take some comfort in it seems your guest can’t sight read too well But that would pretty hollow. It’s a skill I envy as well, even on simple tunes that I think I know I get lost when I look away from the tab
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "What a treat to have him play our piano today."

Very cool.
  4. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    He sounds like a very talented individual. I know a couple of piano players like that. They can read and play from sheet music, but can also transpose to just about any key you want and do and outstanding job playing by ear. What an enviable talent!
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    My guest is a semi-retired piano technician / tuner. We also had some facinating conversations about pianos, music, tuning, etc. He is Bev's third cousin so basically we spent a lot of time just getting acquainted or re-acquainted. I'm not into geneology, so don't ask me what exactly is the definition of "third cousin". Bev knows. I guess you could marry a third cousin and not worry too much about your offspring.
  6. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    For the record, first cousins have common grandparents, seconds have common great-grandparents, and third cousins have a common set of great-great grandparents. My father's first cousin is my first cousin once removed—it's a generational thing.

Nice for the piano to get a good workout.
  7. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Thanks Louise, I’ve never had it so clearly explained!
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I think Bev said something like "his great grandfather was my great grandmother's brother". That was a bit too much for me to trace in my head. Pretty soon I ended up thinking he was his own grandpa.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Shocking admission that Bev may be considering wedding this piano player, Henry.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, the pianomen get all the girls. Banjoman can't compete. Mandoman doesn't even know there is a competition. Sorta like the three laws of thermodynamics.
  11. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    >> For the record, first cousins have common grandparents, seconds have common great-grandparents, and third cousins have a common set of great-great grandparents. <<

I guess that once I have grandchildren they will have no relatives, but I am not common in any way . . . .
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    You guys are too funny! Lol