Northwest Passage (Stan Rogers)

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have been laboring with this one for some time, because I totally like it musically and because I am fascinated by the story of Franklin's expedition that failed pathetically for so many reasons hard to understand today. I did it in a sea-shanty style like Stan Roger's original, but also found that this is not the only way to do it: check out these ladies' very fine rendition.

And no, this is not a Mike Compton impersonation. I just thought I'd pay tribute to the more continental character of this song.
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful, I really enjoyed that!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine version there, Bertram. A song I had not heard before but will certainly return to having heard your rendition. Thanks too for link to Katie and Karen; they create a beautiful sound with their harmonies.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great playing, and great vocals! I'm a big fan of Stan Rogers, and this reminds me that I haven't been listening to him enough lately. Time to put "Home In Halifax" on...

Martin
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all. Martin my other Stan Rogers favourite is Barrett's Privateers
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    A number of ninja skills on display there, most prominently the ability to finger-pick and sing at the same time. Really good!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow Dennis - you're up early on a Sunday
    Thanks, in fact the right hand is running mostly on autopilot. It's the left that's attracting some attention away from the lyrics. The real Ninja feat would be of course what Andy Irvine does: flatpicking counter-melodies while singing; would make my head explode.