Carolan's Cap (O'Carolan)

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Sorry but there is no mandolin content here but let this serve as a marker for a future mandolin part. Sad thing is that I sliced up the tip of the middle finger on my left hand pretty badly and although I now have had the stitches removed, it is still too painful for me to play any stringed instrument. I have been able to modify my concertina fingering to accomodate my disabilty and I am able to play keyboards using my right hand for chords and one finger on my left hand for bass notes. The harpsichord sound is from a digital keyboard using sampled sounds from actual (real) instruments. So it sounds pretty close to a real harpsichord. When I'm healed enough to play the mandolin again, I'll come back to this one.

Here's pdf of the tune with my weird chords:https://app.box.com/s/47vqbd0wr34g3v4scjsrebcl5yvg8dr4
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Those chords are just wonderful, David. A completely valid rendition lacking nothing.
    Now all I have to do is get that picture of O'Carolan having lunch atop a skyscraper out of my head...

Hope for your finger to recover shortly. Wise decision not to push it.
  3. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Hope your finger heals nicely. This is sure a great use of instruments with your necessary accommodations.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bad News, David. Get well soon!

But we can wait a little while. And this concertina – harpsichord – rendition is a great substitute for your usual instrumentation.
  5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording David. Here is someone who didn't follow doctor's order.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Actually I think he did pretty good considering he was only using one finger, I have three fingers but without the middle one I'm all thumbs, pun intended.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That really is a good harpsichord sound. Get well soon, David. It's good that you're giving the finger all the time it needs.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great efforts there, both of you. The joys of playing more than one instrument, David!

Dusty, you remind me of the guitarists who go to the Django conventions each year and actually tape their fingers up to emulate Django's damaged left hand and get their sound closer to his. I love the quick cutaway of the small bundle in the carrycot; a few months and you will have a new bass player who just reaches over and hits the pedals for you
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I'm learning Coleman's March (a recent song of the week) and ran across this footboard player's version, it isn't me.
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sorry to hear of the accident David, I hope it heals well and swiftly.

You've banged out a beautiful version, as usual, and the instrumentation is fabulous. Always fun to hear your productions.

Dusty, is that you in the video? Very creative.

Ah nevermind. You answered while I was typing.