Week #473 ~ Ora Lee

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Ora Lee. I’m posting from my phone, short on time, so if any one out there can link to notation and or videos, I will appreciate it!!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is a YouTube version, Barbara. I do not know this tune, but the title and description seems to be the one chosen.

3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a link to standard notation in pdf format:https://app.box.com/s/v3g1qd1thbtjdefntvrlo618l1rgz0b0
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a link for tab at mandozine: http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...ableEdit+Files
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks, guys!!
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is a great old tune, here's mine, played on a mystery old mandolin with "Favilla" on the headstock:

7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for sharing this David. You did a wonderful job on that tune. The mandolin looks a bit like a Stradolin, it sounds very good.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Hendrik. I believe that some Favillas are related to Stradolins although I'm not sure exactly how it works - Mike Edgerton seems to have a theory (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-marcia-aquila) but I can't really follow it all
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great tune, and well-played, O.S. - seems appropriate on that mando somehow.

I love the tune's "stoppiness". Gotta learn this one!
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks bbcee - I look forward to your version.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice plaing, Old Sausage!
    I like the open strings ringing with the melody.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    So do I, David!
  13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Sounds great!
  14. crisscross
    crisscross
    As is the case with many other OT-tunes, the sheet music versions for Ora Lee differ slightly.
    I chose the one from the North Atlantic Tune List:http://www.natunelist.net/ora-lee/
    I tried to play the eighth notes with a hint of swing feeling. Not that easy...
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding good, crisscross!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great versions, David and crisscross.
  17. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks David and John!
  18. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    OS - Do you record all of your backing tracks? If yes, I was wondering what your 'work flow' is like - you always seem to have a nice full sound.
    Thanks.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks BH. For this tune I recorded just the mandolin part onto my computer using Sonar (DAW program), and at the same time recorded the video with my iPad. I then added a guitar track and bass part by playing along with the track in Sonar. After that I brought the video from the iPad onto the computer, and replaced the iPad's audio with the audio from Sonar in Adobe Premier. Then I compressed it and uploaded to YouTube.
  20. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Thank you for the information OS. I have been using Reaper for the past several years, so should be able to try something similar. I haven't tried recording the mandolin first, but I like that idea. Anxious to give it a try.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I too am a REAPER user, BH. I record very much as David does and now I have added a Tascam DR-05 to my toys and use this along with my camcorder to get .wav quality files when I am recording live playing of an instrument. All tracks are recorded at 44.1kHz, 24 bit and then rendered to mp3 for posting on Youtube or Soundcloud.
    I generally record the melody first then load this into REAPER and add the backing tracks, recording through an Edirol UA-25 interface. I then load this mp3 into Sony Vegas video processing software and load the video clip from the camcorder along with the mp3. I line them up visually and aurally for sync then delete the camera's soundtrack. Because the melody has been recorded live on both the camcorder and the Tascam it is easy to get good sync.
  22. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John - I appreciate the information very much. I am fairly new to the mandolin so added a DR-05 to my toys early last year to capture some BG jams I was attending - mainly as a way to try to learn songs. It has been a great help, and I admit that I am still surprised at how well this little thing records! I just never thought to use it to capture myself with the mandolin for a live recording. I usually use an AT 2035 Cardioid Condenser mic with a UX2 interface and record into Reaper. But I have to admit that I usually don't record the mandolin yet - while it has been my instrument of choice the last couple years, I am still not as comfortable playing it as I am with a guitar. . . . but I am getting there.
    As far as videos go - I really haven't played around much. Last year I shot a couple video clips for a friend of mine who does a lot of solo performances on guitar, mainly finger style, and I shot them with a Nikon D800 and then synced the recorded audio to them. I guess they turned out OK, but video adds a whole lot of time to the process.
    I am always very impressed with your work that you and others post in here. I don't know where you find the time to even LEARN all the tunes besides the work putting the posts together! Just have to say a big thanks to all, as it sure provides some fine incentive every time I pick up the mandolin.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Also look at SAW # 456 (second page) and several dicussions in other SAW threads.

Additional Barbara regularly provides the Table of Contents ~ Discussions.
    There you find e. g. In what order do you lay down your multi-track recordings? And some others.
  24. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Thanks Frithjof - I am finding this group to be a wealth of information. I originally started lurking here about a year ago - trying to find some new tunes, and specifically something other than BG - and boy, did I strike gold! You guys are a fantastic group and the concept of a new song every week . . . . I don't know how one can keep up
    Thanks to all for the help and incentive you provide.
  25. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's my second try at it - I posted a solo mandola version in C last week, but I pulled it because it sounded morose.

This is in the key one usually hears it, the sprightly key of G. Mandolin plays the first half melody & mandola the second, with mando & mandolin rhythm track.

Thanks to Bob Carlin & Old Sausage for the inspiration & ideas, many which I've shamelessly lifted.
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great version and I really like your visual content here too. Fine balance between the instruments.
  27. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you kindly, John. That's a walk through some of my wife's photos, she's a huge collector of "interesting" ones, especially vintage group photos.