Lexie MacAskill/Zeeto the Bubbleman

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thinking back to the beginning of SAW with the Whiskey Before Breakfast Challenge, I noticed that everybody had concentrated on the whiskey part but forgot about breakfast.
    To fill this gap, I recorded these two Scottish reels (the second one being yet another Gordon Duncan tune), one in the dark, one in daylight.

All ABC to be found on thesession.org.
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Great tunes, great playing Bertram. I love the deep bass sound in your backing track. What is it?
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanx Hendrik, the backing is two church organ registers in Lexie and a compression-heavy Hammond on Zeeto, both featured synthetic instruments courtesy of GarageBand
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a set and a half there, Bertram. Great playing, with so much drive and good timing. I liked the bass, too.
  5. Brian560
    Brian560
    That is nice playing
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You shouldn't have directed us to The Session. Proper carnage going on there, with members having heated arguments about the key and the identity of Lexie ... until her descendant jumps in and settles the matter herself.

But my sense of order won't let me learn these tunes until I know the key. So, in your opinion, is this E minor, A mixolydian, or what?
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine playing and a fine-looking breakfast in that skillet. How good was it?
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all. Dennis, I cannot resolve the key ambiguity for you, since Edor and Amix are both in there, and I support both with doublestops (Edor in the first 2 parts, Amix in parts 3 and 4. You can hear the same conundrum in this set (2nd tune, and yes, that's Sharon Shannon in Victorian underwear). Zeeto is being more honest here, taking a clear step up from Amix to Bmin.
    Don, same procedure as every day, in fact I am having it right now, chewing and typing. You get used to it
  9. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Cool video, Bertram! Good music, and nicely played.

Interesting visuals with the light changing in time to the music, the intriguing camera work of breakfast cooking, and the animated tree.

About the lighting in the first part, was that an actual light being switched off and on, or was that edited in later? In either case, cool effect.

And of course I like the low bass notes.

Bertram wrote: "... in this set (2nd tune, and yes, that's Sharon Shannon in Victorian underwear). ..."

Lol well Victorian attire aside, some fine music there. I hadn't heard of Sharon Shannon before, but I must say that I'm impressed by how well all those different instruments are peacefully coexisting - fiddles, saxophone, drum set, electric guitar, keyboards:

Seems to be quite a versatile band, they can play anything and still make it sound good. Another pic from a different part of that same 2-hour concert (different video), has same bass player as above but this time he's playing electric bass instead of bass fiddle, and Sharon's playing accordion instead of fiddle, and the lady next to her switched from fiddle to tenor banjo:

Anyway! Bertram, thanks for posting the great tunes, and also thanks for the link to the Sharon Shannon music.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks JL, that light effect is a camera artefact, I guess - adjusting exposure by the maximum brightness (which is my left hand, incidentally, hence the sync with the music), but that's just a theory.

Sharon Shannon's one main instrument is indeed the accordion (the other is a constant grin at everything that moves). That lady next to her is her sister, afaik.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ah, Bertram of the flying fingers, another fine set there, my man.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Aye John, keepin' the fingers flyin'

13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bertram wrote: "... that light effect is a camera artefact, I guess - adjusting exposure by the maximum brightness (which is my left hand, incidentally, hence the sync with the music), but that's just a theory. ..."

That looks right. I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes sense.