Week #450 ~ God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Everyone should know this melody.... enjoy all the You Tube renditions to get an idea of how YOU want to play it!

2. Brian560
    Brian560
    David, that sounds great !
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Beautiful David. So nicely done.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, I'd say it was perfect!!!!
  5. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I agree with the others, David, very nicely done! Plus I had the enjoyment of playing melody along with you. Thanks
  6. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice, David!
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great version, David! I really like it, especially the flute part.

My version tries to sound a little more like old music, with the melody picked on a bowlback and the chords on a ukulele.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good versions by David, David, Criss and Cross

I'll pass this one up because my perception of this song is forever spoilt by Ian Anderson's version I heard in my youth, and I can't copy that (though David playing a flute is a step in the right direction).
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful versions David, that really was something beautiful. And Criss yours has a wonderful traditional feel. Mine is a bit less traditional, I'm afraid. This has always been a favorite of mine because of those funky minor chords.

10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I love each of these! Wish I could play multiple instruments, as they certainly add to the experience.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great version, Old Sausage! I especially like the second half, when you do some variations on the melody.
    Bertram, I didn't know Jethro Tull played this tune. I guess I had all regular Tull studio albums up to "A", but not "Bursting out".

I just re-recorded my version with the ukulele chords strummed and a little longer break between the first and second chorus.
  12. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    crisscross, I especially like the re-recording, very nice!

OldSausage wrote: "... Mine is a bit less traditional, I'm afraid. ..."

Love it! I'm not the slightest bit worried as to how 'traditional' a tune is, I just like arrangements that have a nice vibe, and yours does! Well done.

Here's my try below... mandolin & CGDAE mini classical guitar (21 inch scale length). I took the notes and all the harmony from a common mid-1800s piano score and I re-wrote it as 4 parts for mandolin-family instruments.

Please pardon the string squeak... I should've used talc or something, fingers were too clean (piezo pickup picks up handling noises very easily).

EDIT: Typo in video, it was supposed to say *HALF* size guitar, not 1/4-size.

(or direct link)

That was only once through the tune because right now that's as long as I can play without goofing up on those 6th-fret and 1st-fret notes, needs practice.

FWIW, it looks like this on paper:

Printable pdf with TAB and standard notation for all 4 parts. I rather hastily formatted the page to fit onto printed paper, it hopefully should print ok but my printer isn't working right now so I can't actually test-print it. (I usually look at these things onscreen.)

And here's what it sounds like in the notation app's midi playback of the score, this is an mp3 that should play in the browser when you click the left-side arrow:

The old 1800s public-domain piano score is available at Hymnary.org.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice version, JL277z and thanks for the score!
    Is the 1/4 size Yamaha guitar tuned in fifths like two tenor guitars built in one?
  14. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    All nice versions; some I enjoy listening to and others playing along with. Thank you JL, for offering us your pdf!
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Impressively hyparoque, y'all ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    The little guitar seems to be made for that.
  16. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Thanks Crisscross, Kay, and Bertram!

crisscross wrote: "... Is the 1/4 size Yamaha guitar tuned in fifths like two tenor guitars built in one?"

Yeah that would be one way of looking at it.

I made a typo in my video, it's a *half* size guitar, not quarter size. I went up to my earlier post just now, and made a note of that. I don't know how I got that mixed up. The manufacturer fractional designations are confusing anyway. This one has a body size similar to a baritone uke - I almost bought one of those instead but I wanted more than 4 strings.

But to answer your question:

The CGDAE tuning I'm using, theoretically allows for playing stuff designed for both CGDA *and* GDAE instruments, just by shifting the fretting hand sideways by one string, without having to re-tune anything...

I say "theoretically" because this particular instrument seems to only have decent tone on the bass C, G, and D strings... whereas the treble A and E strings just kind of go "plink".

Not sure why that is, maybe because I'm using a flatpick on nylon strings, or because it's an all-laminate inexpensive 'student' model of guitar and that might be as good as it gets.

But I like the sound of the low C, G, and D strings, those are fun to mess around with.

Bertram Henze wrote: "... The little guitar seems to be made for that."

Yeah I think I've finally found its niche, what it fits in best with - sort of a pseudo almost-bass thing with that low C.

Fortunately, it doesn't have the over-ringing too-much-sustain in the bass strings like my other fifths-tuned guitar (the solid-body electric) does. On the electric, I've always had to stuff foam rubber under the low bass string to stop it from perpetually ringing (sympathetic resonance). Whereas the little acoustic classical guitar I guess just isn't responsive enough for sympathetic resonance to be noticeable, or something.

I'm starting to remember now why I used to have so many instruments years ago, because they each were better for different situations, or - viewed as "glass half-empty vs half-full" - they were all deficient in one regard or another.
  17. GHall
    GHall
    Just wonderful, Everyone! Here's our go at it. Merry Christmas!!!

18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Almost Bluegrass-like treatment of this song, great!
  19. Brian560
    Brian560

I gave this one a try.The recording part is still a bit of a challenge for me.
  20. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I obviously need to find a different videographer.

21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Congratulations, Sherry! The applause was well deserved. Kudos for bringing your music to the public. Where did you play?

You have a beautiful instrument there. Who made it?
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well done, Sherry, bringing Christmas cheer to others' lives.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good job, Sherry!
  24. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, all. Dennis, my teacher is a classical violinist and I'm her only mandolin student. She holds recitals at a local independent living facility several times throughout the year. Since I rarely get to play with others, I take advantage of these opportunities. As you can imagine, the residents love hearing us "kids" share our talents. My instrument is a 2014 Weber Gallatin I bought from the classifieds last April.
  25. Lucindalin
    Lucindalin
    Thank you for sharing, that was wonderful and compliments on your lovely mandolin!
  26. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Those recitals sound like a great opportunity for you to play in public and for the residents to enjoy some live music. That Weber is a beautiful mandolin. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.