Off topic, but I can't wait for the next show and tell session

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I am now, officially, a flautist. Or flouter. Or blowhard - whatever. Thought I might share the story of a ~170 year old flute and its rebirth. The following link takes you to a thread at chiffandfipple.com which is kind of like the mandolin cafe of wood fluters, whistlers and pipers. The first post in the thread and the last post are basically the story, so you can skip all the intervening stuff and not miss much other than the determination that the flute was worth salvaging.

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/vie...p?f=2&t=105482
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Henry, that's a gorgeous old instrument with wonderful sentimental provenance! I'm already excited about seeing it restored and watching you learn to huff and puff at it! I read the entire thread and enjoyed it a lot.
  3. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    That is a beautiful instrument, and will be even nicer when the restoration is done. Any idea when you will have it back? Can the restorer set you up with a case? It's too nice to just keep in a brown paper bag.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Louise, check out the last post in that thread. I just got it back today. Photos there. Nice case. It's all back on page 3 of the thread.
  5. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    I missed the second and third pages! (I would argue that the numbers are a little small.)

To get something like this back in about six weeks, so beautifully restored, is unusual, to say the least. Huge testament to the man who did the work. It's gorgeous.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I did too, Louise! I thought I'd read the whole thread - on one page. Have finished the job now

Interesting interchanges there, and wow, what a wonderful instrument!
  7. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Nice story Hank.
    Happy to see you received sound advice, (ha, ha), at that forum. Pretty fast restoration.

Geez you get around. You aren't perusing Banjo Hangout too are you?
  8. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Lovely instrument, the only musical lessons I’ve had were on the flute; my teacher “fired” me after 4 lessons because I couldn’t get a sound out of it. Sounds like you’ve already made more progress than me
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    BJ: yeah, I hung out there for a few months a couple years ago when I up and decided to resurrect my old banjo and relearn clawhammer. Got frustrated. Switched to an instrument I had never tried to do anything with - mandolin. Never looked back after that. I still do subscribe to Josh Turknett's stuff - his brainjo method is applicable to just about any instrument.

OneChord: Yesterday I huffed and puffed and out came the first movement of that well known Christmas cantata: Tvinkle Tvinkle Kleine Sterne. Moving right along ... Flight of the Bumblebee is on the horizon.
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Ha, Tvinkle Tvinkle Kleine Sterne, that most popular little ditty, translated into practically every known language, and a favorite starter tune for practically any instrument.

"Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific,
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific:
    Loftily poised in the ether capacious,
    Srongly resembling a gem carbonaceous."
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just continue the "Show and Tell" with some actual mandolin content.

1. I ordered an armrest from our fellow Newbie soliver and I installed it today. It looks great and it's comfortable. It's walnut. Great job, Spencer.

2. I ordered an ebony pickguard from Hill Country Stringworks for my Weber Rawhide, hoping that it would tone down the somewhat flashy appearance. It arrived a few days ago and I installed it (with some trepidation about drilling holes in my mandolin, etc). The pickguard is great, but it did not go with the mandolin. So I removed it and plan to put it onto my Weber Vintage F. But in the mean time I got to think about that Rawhide and decided to make my own pickguard out of a piece of Bolivian Rosewood (pau ferro) and it turned out pretty good. I have some more of that wood and I might see if Spencer can make me an armrest from it. Anyway, here's HonketyHank pickguard #001:
  12. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    That's a perfect detail for that instrument! Well done. I would have guessed cherry on that pickguard.

The mandolin itself is stunningly pretty. Herringbone purfling? Wow.
  13. soliver
    soliver
    Thanks for all the emails Hank, I'm glad you like the armrest! It looks great on that mando! is that a Weber as well?
  14. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yup. Weber Beartooth. Sounds incredible. Now it has the armrest to match.
  15. Chunta
    Chunta
    I'm not a fan of pickguards in general but that one looks great! Complements the instrument instead of sticking out. How did you finish the wood before installing it?
  16. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Chunta, I sanded it with progressively finer grits. Then I applied a product called "Howard Feed-N-Wax" and rubbed it in and buffed it with a soft cloth. That stuff is a mix of beeswax, carnauba wax, and orange oil. Plain old paste wax would probably give just about the same result, as would neutral tone paste wax shoe polish.