Shirley Reminiscent

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I recently got a new toy, a brand new Fletcher JD2 tenor guitar and I've been playing it non-stop since I got it. The other day I started playing this tune which sounded vaguely familiar or reminiscent of other tunes but I couldn't nail down the name of the tune. It was surely reminiscent of other tunes I've played so if anyone can tell me from where I stole it, I'd be happy to know.

There is a pdf in standard notation here:

https://app.box.com/s/jqdqwxr1obghntfhsuhlgp404l08pcxu
  2. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    It does sound vaguely familiar... but I believe it is the wonderful playing that is so familiar. Your Fletcher and your playing are absolutely lovely. Congrats on such a beautiful new toy!
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Such beautiful music! It sounds pretty fresh to me, David. Good schtuff.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very pleasant and familiar tune, David, but could easily be something you have put together from your knowledge of lots of country waltzes. It follows clear progressions as you play and the listener has that feeling of knowing where the tune is going.

That tenor sounds fine and I see you have it tuned in octave mandolin tuning, as far as I can tell from your fingering.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely potluck tune, David, and the TG is ideal for that.
    I think it reminds us of other tunes the way pizza reminds us of tomatoes, cheese and peppers.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds awesome David! And nice to see a Fletcher tenor guitar in your hands again! What a beauty it is!
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

John, the Fletcher tenors are intended to be tuned GDAE, as is mine.

Jill, there's a Fletcher tenor in the classifieds for considerably less than I paid and without waiting a year.
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "Jill, there's a Fletcher tenor in the classifieds for considerably less than I paid and without waiting a year."

What a beaut!

David, are those 1:1 tuning pegs?

Nevermind, found the info at his website. I'm a banjo ignoramus. Banjo type tuners, 5-Star Geared Planetary tuners, 4:1 ratio according to StewMac. Nice looking instruments from Fletcher Instruments. Congrats on the new axe!
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Yeah, if I hadn't just taken delivery of my lovely Herb Taylor tenor I'd be all over that JD2 in the classifieds!