"Faded Love" for Newbies

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Here's a good tune for us true newbies to learn. Notation and tabs appear below in key of D. I hope some of you will work on this along with me, especially as I add some improvisation, which I'm just now learning to do.

Please feel free to post comments, videos, etc. related to this post.

My own copy of this music, which I've had forever, is almost unreadable at this point. I noticed a website at the top of the page, which I used to download this copy. There seems to be lots of good stuff there. The site is www.traditionalmusic.co.uk.

2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I don't believe my image posted. Still working on it.
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
  5. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Sherry, it looks like you are having quite a time. Posting an image here is not an easy task - for some reason, the software does not allow posting an image directly from one's computer. The image must be located out on the internet. It used to be that folks used photobucket to host all those images they wanted to post, but photobucket started charging a fee for that service.

I am experimenting with two image hosting sites: ############ and imgur.com . Both have quirks and limitations, but seem to work. Another way is to go to the main forum and upload the picture to a thread that was started a million years ago for the purpose of getting an image into the system and then linking to it from our social group. Neither way is all that complex, but it takes a good bit of effort to climb the learning curve barrier.

I am going to PM you with my email address so you can email me a copy of the image and I can post it for you if you want.
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry, I've been out working today, sorry I couldn't respond to PM's. Hank, Sherry has said she has a PDF rather than an image - I think that's what she has anyway. But I may have given her rotten advice early in the day, I advised her to get Dropbox and put it in there then link to it here. But she has also said she is trying to post an image, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, it may be that Dropbox is not the way to share a PDF. I do use Dropbox to share things with people one-on-one sometimes, but maybe you can't put a link for the general public?

I want to help but I am probably the wrong person to ask about how to use the free image hosting sites, and file hosting sites, to upload stuff and share it here, because I personally have always owned my own webspace (at www.markgunter.net and other sites I own) so I just host my own images, files, videos, etc. at my own webspace and share them from there, and have done for years. The exceptions are YouTube for videos and Dropbox for collaborative projects privately.

I just checked, and I see that Henry uses Google Drive to host PDF's. I know a lot of people use Dropbox to share things, but I can't tell anyone how to add either 1) a link to a file, like a PDF, or 2) display an image using Dropbox (or other free hosting sites, except YouTube). I'm sorry about that.

One thing I can say that may help folk though, if you have a failed post in a group message, there is no need to create more test messages. You can edit your messages here and use them or change them over and over. I don't think there is even a time limit on editing your messages within groups.
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I saw that edit feature, Mark, and tried to use it to delete some of my messages.

Apologies to anyone who is still hanging around this thread! Hank offered to post the music if I email him a PDF. I'll do that now. In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions for posting a PDF, please PM me. I can also save a PDF in other formats.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Great idea, Sherry, I'll start a thread here for just that purpose!
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here is a link to Sherry's Faded Love tabs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UH...247p2c9tDfd8kS

Note that it is an Adobe Acrobat pdf file, so it can't be displayed directly in this thread. But you can view it or download it from this link.
  11. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Thanks Sherry and Hank. I was able to print out a copy and will start trying to learn it.
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Steve (right?), for hanging in there! Hope you enjoy this one.
  13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I don't know what it is about Bob Wills' music, but I have really come to like it. Here are tabs for Sherryc's Faded Love and for a version of San Antonio Rose. Whoever owns the copyright on SAR seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it out of the usual free sources on the internet. The one I attach came from a fiddle forum and was shown in ABC format. I don't really like the version, but it is interesting to see the double stops. In any case, it can be used to extract a simple version.

Faded Love (tef file)
    San Antonio Rose (tef file)
  14. R.A.P
    R.A.P
    Well here is my contribution on Faded Love. It's such a great melody. My effort is just from memory. I had learned on fiddle long ago. It may not be right just what I remembered. It's kind of fast because this video software I have only lets me make a one minute run.

Bob

15. 1359Bob
    1359Bob
    For those who may prefer std. notation, Faded Love and San Antonio Rose can be downloaded in pdf from the website of The Prairie Mountain Fiddlers
    www.pmfiddlers.ca/music/
    Thankyou to all who are making this forum interesting and informative. Special kudos to Mark and Hank
  16. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bob, thanks for sharing that video. It was pretty fast, but I could hear your double stops and tremolo, which sounded good to me. I hope to post something soon.
  17. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    1359Bob: Thanks for that link. Great resource. I have it bookmarked now. I looked all over for SAR and you had it stashed away the whole time!

R.A.P.: Good job, especially for dragging that up from the cobwebs.
  18. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Very cool, Bob! It's nice to have another fiddler in here! (Not me; I know that Sleet's been playing fiddle. Maybe others too.)

19. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Thanks for the link to the Prairie Mountain Fiddlers, Bob. Great place to find music!
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here's some more info on Faded Love resources that Sherry had asked me to post from another thread:

I played around with that one last year, July ... I had found a TAB somewhere online, but only used it as a sketch, and did my own thing with it. I moved up the neck for the "B" part. At the time, that was new territory for me! I hadn't been playing long on mandolin at that point.

Since it is my own "interpretation" it may not be your cup of tea. But if you do like it, I can show you note for note how I did it. As always, I was experimenting with finding double stops everywhere, LOL.

And here's the TAB that got me started on Faded Love: http://www.mandozine.com/music/table...ve-D-Hicks.tef

I noticed that in my music files, I have two other tabs on Faded Love that I haven't tried, they may be simpler. I also have a video I downloaded from YouTube of Banjo Ben Clark playing Faded Love - an awesome version - but when I search his site, or search YouTube, I see that he doesn't have it anymore! Probably because he recently re-designed his website. Anyway, I have his video where he previewed his Faded Love mandolin lesson. Obviously I saved it thinking that one day I'll watch him performing his version at the beginning so I can "steal" his licks and transpose his version.

I can upload my other two tabs to my site to share here if y'all want to see them. I can also try to transcribe an arrangement based on Banjo Ben's playing. And again, I can show note for note what I did with it. Let me know if any of this appeals to you.

And here's a link to Faded Love in the SAW group: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...201&do=discuss
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I had mentioned in a different thread I have a video of my new teacher playing Faded Love at a recent lesson with him. When I asked his permission to post it here, he said he'd like to redo it. Hopefully, I'll have it this week to share.
  22. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I never heard back from the mandolin teacher, so have moved on without him.

My regular teacher had a recital today for her violin and viola students. I played a duet with an adult violin student and will attempt to post the video. You'll see Ed is playing left handed - not because he's left-handed, but because he lost half his left index finger in some sort of accident.

I was hoping to be able to watch my left hand on the video. No such luck. Anyway, I've posted the video to YouTube and will attempt to upload it here. There are actually 2 tunes on the vid, the first being As the Deer.
  23. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
  24. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here's the video:

Well done, hear hear, and kudos to you both! Plenty of distractions yet you both kept cruising right along. Nice tremolo, Sherry.
  25. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry, that was awesome! Great job on the rhythm/chord accompaniment, great job on your tremolo, a very enjoyable performance. You guys did well!

26. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    Great job Sherry! Thanks for sharing. -Bill
  27. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, all. I didn't expect to be nervous, but I was. Thankfully, Ed plays solos at his church, so he was calm and played well. I messed up on the first verse of As the Deer. The rest wasn't perfect, but at least I got through it.

A client and I are planning to jam sometime in the next couple of weeks. He plays guitar and has for decades. (He's 80 something.) He doesn't read music, but he can probably play chords for anything I choose to play. I hope to play Faded Love and some of the Song of the Week tunes. I've asked if his wife can take videos. If so, I'll do more posting.
  28. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice, Sherry.

Was this also at the nursing home where you play? If it was considered a recital, I hope there were cookies and punch for all afterwards!
  29. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Louise. The weekly jam sessions are at the senior center, whereas the recitals are at an assisted living center. I'm not sure why, but both times I've been, most of the audience is family members of the students. Maybe the residents aren't too much into classical music?????

Come to think of it, there were no punch and cookies. I'll have to ask about that next time. This time the room was at least 80 degrees, and the music stand was in front of a roaring fire. I started to ask you guys if you thought I looked hot, but then I had second thoughts. Lol Anyway, because of the heat, it's doubtful anyone would have stuck around for punch and cookies!
  30. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Next time, demand 15° cooler and cookies. Or, one teacher I know serves adult beverages at her adult recitals.
  31. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Ed and I were the only adults. My teacher had dinner with us tonight. She likes your idea of adult beverages - offsite, after the recital!
  32. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry, you do look good in that recital, as a matter of fact you look cool and calm. Never let 'em see you sweat!
  33. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Mark. If you don't play well, you should at least try to look good!

I can't listen to your January tune tonight, but look forward to it tomorrow.
  34. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Good job, Sherry. I enjoyed listening.
  35. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Steve!