Week #442 ~ Mount Hills

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good morning a day late! This week's winner is Mount Hills, which was submitted as an English Polka from the Playford collection. I'm posting from my phone in a tent, so I will let some of our helpful members come up with links!
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    From the Session https://thesession.org/tunes/1935

From Playford's Collection Here's the abc's in the key of G

X: 1
    T: Mount Hills
    Z: gian marco
    S: https://thesession.org/tunes/1935#setting1935
    R: polka
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    D|Gd .BB|A/2B/2A/2G/2 FD|Gd .BB|dc/2B/2 A2|
    Gd .BB|A/2B/2A/2G/2 FD|GF/2E/2 cB/2A/2|.FF G:|
    z|:F>G .AB|cB AG/2F/2|.GE cd|B2 A2|
    d/2e/2d/2c/2 .BB|.GG EB|cB/2A/2 G/2F/2G/2A/2|A2 G2:|

It also appears frequently in the key of D here:http://www.folktunefinder.com

Here's one on the box:

Here's the dance:

Here's a more stately version:

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for that, David!!!
  4. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here’s a pretty straightforward account, paired with “Jenny Lind.”

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Bob, and a good combination with Jenny Lind.
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great work Bob. It's quite a catchy tune. Been a while since I did one of these:

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Good to see you posting again, David, nicely done. I'm not all that happy with my version but I'm too tired to redo it at this point.

8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks David, your version sounded pretty good to me
  9. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Feels like I'm at a good concert, this is great! All excellent versions above. And David, that was like being transported to another time and dimension, an enjoyable listen.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great versions from both Davids, and good to see David (OS) posting again.
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Great tune and beautiful versions, and what a surprise! David Mold is Back! I'm so happy about that, I think I'll post something next week if I find the time...
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Three great versions and each one different from the others! Well done everyone!
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three amazing submissions which make appetite to play this polka.
    I like how easy the chords, embellishments and variations seams to find their way in your playing, OS.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff from Bob O S and David. This tune was not as easy to play up to speed as it first appeared.
  15. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    This is a bit of a poor offering, compared to the rest....

Jim
  16. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    I like all of the above versions, I've been playing along with each video and I find that I learn something new from each one.

Njugglebreck, that actually sounds pretty good. Is that a Soviet-made mandolin? It looks a lot like a 1970s Soviet mandolin a friend loaned me for a while a few years ago, it's what got me back into playing mandolin (and music in general) again. I recall that it was rather recalcitrant as far as tone. But yours sounds nice. I'm guessing that the difference is technique, your picking hand has just the proper touch to bring out the instrument's best tone.
  17. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Beautiful work. I enjoy hearing all the renditions. Old Sausage has some great technique and David Hansen - your accompaniment and the squeeze box solo is as inspiring as your mandolin. All the solo performances are well done also. What a treasure this group is!
  18. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Thanks, JL, and well spotted......
    The mandolin arrived a few days after sitting down in front of an open e-bay window when I'd partaken of a couple of glasses of wine......
    My Russian is non existant, so my best guess is a 'best tourist grade' model - 316.... or maybe made by comrade political prisoner 316

It doesn't look like she's been played this decade, at least....... but, a bit of glue in the cracks, a new bridge, a polish of the frets and I've been very pleasantly surprised..... not bad for £35?

Jim
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well played Jim. My first mandolin was one of these Russian models which I bought at a car boot sale. I like to think of it as the Kalashnikov A K 47 of the mandolin world - cheap and simple but rugged and reliable.
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this a few days ago, but have only just got around to uploading it -- narrowly missing out on uploading in the actual week for this tune...

Good to see everybody else's recordings, and in particular David Mold's: great tempo, great fluidity, great ornamentation. Good to have you back! My version is a bit more stately than this.

"Mount Hills" was first published in the 11th Edition of Playford's "Dancing Master" in 1701. My recording for mandolin quartet (two mandolins, mandocello and tenor guitar) is based on a multi-part arrangement by the Cafe's very own David M. Brown (David KOS on the forum), included in his wonderful (and free!) collection of country dances at:

http://www.larkinam.com/EnglishTunesHarmony.pdf

Thanks, David!

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin