Video-posting tips & testing for Song A Week

1. JL277z
    JL277z
    This material has likely been covered elsewhere on the site, but I can't find it.

Will start with Vimeo since there was a question about that recently. The question didn't specify which OS (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc) but I'm going to list the Windows PC procedure since that's what I'm familiar with. I or someone else can cover Android phones later. I have no access to iOS or Mac nowadays.

In a different thread, Brian560 wrote: "Hi, can someone tell me how to post a video from Vimeo. I keep getting the statement "oops the embedded code for this video is not valid" "

This is what works for me, on a Windows PC. (Hope the pictures show up, that's another area where I'm often confused at Song A Week since the procedure is different than the main forums.) So...

Two versions here, a short answer and a long answer with pictures. If the short answer seems confusing, skip ahead to the long answer which has more details.

SHORT ANSWER, assumes medium-high computer proficiency:

1. Copy ONLY the NUMBER part of the Vimeo URL.
    2. Below the MandolinCafe reply area, click the "Go Advanced" button.
    3. Click the little blue "V" icon.
    4. Paste the Vimeo number into the little box's text field.
    5. Click the "Preview Message" button to see if the video displays correctly.
    6. If the video shows up ok in the Preview, then click the "Post Message" button.

LONG ANSWER - more info (no skipped steps) for people who aren't as familiar with computers. Easier to do than to describe in words:

1. Go to the desired Vimeo webpage and highlight/select ONLY THE NUMBER part in the address bar. To highlight it, you will need to click and drag across the number ONLY. Be careful to get all the numbers, it's easy to inadvertently miss the first/last numbers. After you've highlighted/selected the number, it should look something like this:

2. Now, with that number still highlighted, you need to perform a keyboard shortcut to COPY that number. On Windows PC's, the keyboard shortcut for Copy is "Ctrl+c" (that means press and HOLD the "Ctrl" key and then press the "c" key once, then let up both keys). (I do not know what the current keyboard shortcuts are on modern Macs, years ago they used to be "Command+c" (cloverleaf+c), no clue what they are now.)

3. Go back to the MandolinCafe page you want to reply to, but instead of clicking "Reply", click the "Go Advanced" button. On my computer, it's below the reply box and it looks like this:

4. You'll see some extra little icons that weren't available before. Click the small blue "V" icon.

5. You'll see another little box open up. Click once in the text-entry field (where the number is shown in the pic below) and do a PASTE. That will paste the Vimeo number that you'd copied earlier. TO PASTE, use a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT: On Windows, press "Ctrl+v" (that means, press-and-HOLD the "Ctrl" key and then press the "v" key ONCE - do NOT hold down the "v" key and do NOT press it more than once. Then let up on both keys). You should now see your Vimeo number pasted in, it will look something like this, but with a different number, of course:

6. Click the "OK" button.

7. Below the editor box, find the "Preview Message" button and click it. On my computer it looks like this:

8. Look at the resulting Preview to see if the video displays correctly. If so, then click the "Post Message" button.

Ok now a test - this should be a Vimeo video of Bill Monroe that MandolinCafe posted some time back, hopefully they allow embedding/viewing outside of Vimeo:

Preview looks ok here. After I post this, I will also check on my Android phone to see if it shows up there too. EDIT: Android Chrome playback OK *but* video won't pause or stop, hm. No problem on Windows though.

Maybe we could make this into an unofficial Song-A-Week video and picture tips and test page? Might as well include pictures too, I always have problems remembering how to post those.

Anyone wanna explain YouTube & Song A Week now? Similar to Vimeo except you click the red icon instead of the blue one? Was thinking it's reversed from main forums, for *YouTube* that is.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a wonder tutorial! I think the step that many people don't realize, is the 'go advanced' instead of 'quick reply'.... it takes you to a place where you have so many options!

As far as how you do this, using a youtube video... I do believe I went over that in an earlier post, but to keep it here, you go through the same general procedure as Vimeo, except, you click the icon for Youtube, and when you copy the code from your youtube video, you copy the code after the "=".....
  3. Brian560
    Brian560
    Thanks for the answer, it does work . It does seem to be browser dependent. On my version of internet explorer the Vimeo dialogue box didn’t appear. I switched th Chrome and it worked ! Thanks again.
  4. JL277z
    JL277z
    Barbara Shultz wrote: "... youtube video... same general procedure as Vimeo, except, you click the icon for Youtube, and when you copy the code from your youtube video, you copy the code after the "=" ... "

Barbara, thanks!

Brian560 wrote: "Thanks for the answer, it does work . It does seem to be browser dependent. On my version of internet explorer the Vimeo dialogue box didn’t appear. I switched th Chrome and it worked ! Thanks again."

You're welcome, glad it's working.

(I didn't think to check it with Internet Explorer, or its new name "Microsoft Edge" as it's called on the Windows 10 machines we have here. I have both our computers set up to run Chrome as the default browser.)
  5. JL277z
    JL277z
    testing

trying to paste pic from other page:

6. JL277z
    JL277z
    Test from Android

7. JL277z
    JL277z
    Another TEST from Android device...

EDIT: The purpose of the above tests, is that I'm trying to make a little video showing how to post pics here at Song-A-Week (or at least what works for me, FWIW) but I never can quite remember the correct procedures - both for making videos and posting pictures here in these social groups - my current 'technique' involves randomly clicking lots of stuff until I finally get something to work. So it might take me a while to get a video put together.