August Tune Project 2017

1. Sleet
    Sleet
    The selection for August, following the Tune-A-Week social group's list is "I am a Pilgrim". I don't know the tune. The social group's discussion tells me it can be bluegrass, blues or jazz. There is a tab file on Mandozine. Seems like another tough one, but I've seen awesome newbies accept the challenges.
  2. Spragster
    Spragster
    http://www.mandolincafe.net/tabledit...Stangeland.tef

I found this in the tabs section here in the cafe for you tabledit able folks. Looks like a real zinger
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    So if we don't use tabledit, we just find our own music for each month's tune? I actually have standard notation for this one, but figured we'd be provided the music and each of us play the same version.
  4. Spragster
    Spragster
    Yup. Same basic tune, tabs, notation, by ear on youtube whatever version sounds good and play it how ya like it.

I think the idea is really to get us newbies some exposure to some stuff we may not get into on out own, whether it be the syle, genre or difficulty level of the overall monthly selection.
  5. Chunta
    Chunta
    Sherry, for me it actually works out well that way. A song can be played different ways, and what sounds good to me may sound, well, not so good to you. I like to see how other people have performed it on YouTube, or in the newbie group postings, and I'll draw from them to make it my own. Last month Spragster played the song a lot closer to the sheet music than I did, but I tried it and could just not get it to come out right at all. It's all one big learning process in every aspect for me, especially because I don't really know any of these songs.
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    And there is the fact some of us are newbier than others. We can each play a version at our own level this way.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    There are not as many versions of this tune out on the web in tabs, ABCs, or 'the dots' as other tunes we have worked with. But I found a few in addition to the ones noted above (there were more that were duplicates).

Hard version up the neck in key of B - from Classic Bluegrass Solos for Mandolin: https://books.google.com/books?id=kT...ndolin&f=false

Simple version in key of C from 8notes.com: https://www.8notes.com/scores/4986.asp

Simple version in key of G from Parking Lot Pickers Mandolin Solos: https://books.google.com/books?id=Y1...ndolin&f=false

A version with tremolo explicitly notated (also in G) - from Absolute Beginners: Mandolin: https://books.google.com/books?id=Pr...ndolin&f=false

BanjoBenClark - video with mandolin lesson and tabs for first few measures, then you gotta buy the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjEd4Do20Z0

A 5-string banjo version (Tabledit file) if you want to try converting it to mandolin: http://www.hangoutstorage.com/banjoh...2015482012.tef
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    O Man, Ben Clark mentioned a video that Clarence and Roland White had done, I had to look it up. IMO no one but Tony Rice has ever come along to match Clarence White's guitar style (and as many of you probably know, Tony plays this guitar that had belonged to Clarence), and Roland's mandolin work is cool. I think if I get around to learning this tune I'm going to try Ben's version. That tremolo will be difficult for me, but probably what I need to work on most anyway.

9. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Getty UP!
  10. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    I've converter the tef file Spragster linked to here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt7e6bgr2x...lgrim.pdf?dl=0

Hopefully the link shold work and I haven't broken any rules!
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    Notice that Clarence is looking at his RIGHT hand. My instructor feels that your playing gets much better if you focus on your picking, instead of your fretting, hand. But a hard habit to break!
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    It's hard for me to work on this without hearing Doc Watson in my head.
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bbcee, what do you mean by "focus?" Do you mean to actually watch that hand? Considering I'm usually reading music, I don't believe I could pull this off.
  14. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I had a bit of trouble getting 'into' this tune. It just sounds too nice and sweet to do on a mandolin. I think of it more as a guitar tune and I always think of Doc Watson and his version from the 1960s when I hear it. As I tried various things to make the tune fun for me, I realized that some might think I was venturing too far into the frivolous or profane. This IS a gospel tune, after all, and it can be found in many hymnals. So I decided to do two versions -- a straight slow, hopefully respectful, version on my Vega bowlback, then a fun version that might reflect a joyful future.

This is the first time I have used the Vega bowlback in a video. I really enjoy messing around with it, but it always reminds me that while it is a mandolin, it is a quite different kind of mandolin. It is very lightly built, so I have it strung with very light guage strings. This means that the strings are a bit 'floppy' -- they do NOT like to be driven hard. A bluegrass chop sounds like a train wreck. I am using a Fender 'thin' pick. It is so thin you can almost read through it. 0.45 mm. Between the thin, flexible pick and the light, floppy strings, a good tremolo is a real challenge. This exercise has brought home to me just how good those classical mandolinists are.

Anyway, this video was a fun project. Shoot, maybe I have found yet another vocation to add to my resume.

15. Spragster
    Spragster
    Im having trouble getting the feel of this one as well Hank. I like that you made 2 versions and liked both. My tremelo is still terribelo but im working on it here and there. Awesome job and that bowl back sounded sweet to me
  16. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Nice job Hank. Big difference on the bowlback and your A style. I'm jealous of your stock you got back there behind you.
  17. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    I noticed that too, Ellsdemon: the guy has a fine-looking stash there. He also has mad tech skills with titles, photo collage, etc. "In yonder city" made me laugh. He plays well, too!

Nice job, Hank.
  18. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks, guys. I should note that there are quite a few mandolins that I have referred to or shown here that are no longer in my possession. My rule now is zero population growth. And I like the ones I have now so much, it is hard for me to imagine getting rid of one to make room for another. So far, that thought alone has been an effective population control measure. But ... well you never know. And we know how hard it is when one just follows you home, climbs in your lap, and purrs.
  19. Sleet
    Sleet
    Nice job, Hank. You might have inspired me to take another look at this tune. The bowl back is a sweet looking instrument with its own voice. I enjoyed your Blarney Pilgrim coda.
  20. Chunta
    Chunta
    Nice job Hank. 2/3 through the month and I've barely started to get into this song. Thanks for the inspiration!
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    This is a piece I worked on with my teacher a couple of months ago. I think I had picked it since it was one of the. few slow tunes in my fake book. I didn't like it, so it took early retirement, only to be put back to work as the August tune. I'm planning to play it at the final senior center jam session of this month. I'll try to take a video to share, after which I'm throwing a party to retire this one for good. Y'all are all invited.
  22. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Good job as usual, Hank, and yessss - nice toys!
  23. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great job, Mr. Honkety. Your end tremolo was excellent! Also nice to hear the difference in tones btw the two instruments
  24. bbcee
    bbcee
    I really went into the "Bit Off More Than I Could Chew" zone on this one. I've directly copped (except for the hard parts) from a book I find I'm turning to more & more, "Allstar Bluegrass Jam Along-Mandolin", and the backing track is from it as well. the melody gets stated first time around, it lays out for a couple of rounds so you can play, then there's a more advanced solo.

I think the OM part is pretty good, though I keep saying I'm going to shave the neck down on the darn thing before it cripples me! I can hear my timing & tremolo in the more advanced mandolin part needs work. Onwards & upwards. Such a great feel this tune has!

25. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    bbcee, I loved your version, can see and hear you relaxing and growing in confidence. Great job!
  26. Sleet
    Sleet
    Well done, bbcee. You really get that bluegrass feel in there. The OM does look like a handful, but what great voice.
  27. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nice job, bbcee. I'm jealous of your tremolo. Much smoother than mine. What does OM mean?
  28. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the support, it means a lot. You're right, Mark, I think I am able to ignore the red light at least partially!

@SherryC, "OM" stands for octave mandolin, that giant, unwieldy thing I play the first time around. I love the sound of it on certain pieces. We were talking about clicks (metronome) on a separate thread & I never answered you back. I got used to playing to a metronome, but when the backing track band is done by people of this caliber, it's much more natural & easier to find your place in the music. Many people prefer this over a click, but good backing tracks aren't always available.
  29. Spragster
    Spragster
    That was fantastic bbcee. I thought both parts were great to hear doubly so knowing you were playing both parts
  30. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Very nice, bbcee. And I think it is just the right use of tremolo for the tune.
  31. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yikes! I'm really nervous about posting my August tune video now, Hank! I tremolo at every opportunity. Maybe I shouldn't. 😬
  32. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I decided to go ahead and post this video. I'm working on Pilgrim for this Wednesday's jam session and thought you guys might have some constructive criticism for me. After hearing my videos of Amazing Grace and Kentucky Waltz, I've decided not to tremolo those pieces, but like it for this one. Of course, I wish it sounded better.

The guy at the Verizon store couldn't tell me how to overlap videos, so the melody (twice) and chords are alternated. You'll see I really struggle with the C7 chord.

https://youtu.be/5gGjSESl8pg
  33. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter

Good work, Sherry. The tremolo sounds like a good approach especially at this tempo. My own tremolo attempts leave a lot to be desired. Thanks for sharing!
  34. bbcee
    bbcee
    SherryC, your tremolo is marvelous, very steady & confident, and stops in the right place.

Are you playing a three-finger C7? If so, you may just want to try it two -fingered, i.e., without your ring finger. The open G is in the chord, so will sound fine ringing out. My little sausages are too short to comfortably play it three-fingered, so that's my cheat.
  35. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, I like your use of tremolo, too, Sherryc. You make it sound relaxed but crisp, if that makes any sense. You are ahead of me on the chords. I gotta get serious with those finger benders.
  36. Sleet
    Sleet
    Sherry, I agree that your tremolo is coming out nice and strong. Good job.
  37. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I really appreciate the comments, especially regarding my tremolo. I'm working on making it smoother. Bbcee, you're suggesting I play a regular C chord in lieu of the C7? That I can do!
  38. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hi Sherry, for the sound of a C7 you need a Bb note in the chord (that would be the flatted 7th note of the C scale, which makes a C7 chord [C7 is short hand for "C Major Dominant 7th" or "C Dominant 7th"])

Here is a two-finger C Major chord:

Here is a two-finger C7 chord:

Although this C7 chord omits the root note (C) it should sound great where a C7 is called for in the tune, give it a try.

Note, you can play all four strings with these two-finger chords. The open G and the open E are part of the chord.

Also note, there are many different fingerings for chords, so this is only one simple option. It is a good idea to learn these and make them sound good, then learn the ones you are now using and make those sound good, and then keep learning as many more as you are game for. Having many options is always a good thing. I think that starting out, the two finger chords can be very helpful and can be brought up to speed pretty quickly.
  39. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Mark, I use a 2 finger G7 chord, so I should have thought of transposing for the C7. I guess it's the lack of experience and natural ability that's keeping me from thinking of these things. Brad's master class materials may help me with this stuff. I'm trying to get through the beginner course first. Then I'll spend some time in the Woodshed Group.

Thanks for suggesting the 2 finger C7.
  40. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "I guess it's the lack of experience and natural ability that's keeping me from thinking of these things."

And maybe just because you're human? LOL. We're all doing the best we can, and nobody has all the answers, even when they may seem obvious. You're doing great!

And of course, we'll love having you in the woodshed material, any questions, just ask!
  41. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well said, Mark, about the chord options!!
  42. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I really should be embarrassed to post this video and to some extent I am. But if you can't laugh at yourself, aren't you taking life too seriously? Anyway, after missing the past few weeks of jamming at the senior center, I was finally able to play the August tune today. My teacher had suggested I only tremolo more than 3 counts, so that's what I did. Interestingly, my tremolo was much better in the practice video I posted last month than it was today.

I thought I had conquered my head bobbing, but I suppose I've replaced it with full body bobbing. The completely new thing is the pursed lips. If you ever saw Lily Tomlin do her Ernestine skits, you can imagine me saying one ringy dingy, snort. If I can manage to upload the video, I hope you enjoy my live performance of "I Am a Pilgrim."
  43. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
  44. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here's Sherryc's video embedded:

I think it is great. It looks like you are having fun. Making a video recording is intimidating enough - then add the fact that it is in a group. I am learning to handle the former, but I am certainly not ready to take on the latter. I think you handled the pressures well.

Re mouth movements. Just wait till you see mine when I try to do those cascading triplets in Harvest Home.
  45. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yes, I had a lot of fun today. Wish I could've gotten other musicians in the video, but I had to mount my phone on my music stand. Since I can't play and sing at the same time, I always give Robert a copy of my music. What you didn't hear him say in the video is he doesn't read music, which I didn't know. He wasn't familiar with the piece, nor was anyone else.
  46. Sleet
    Sleet
    Sherry, you can be proud that you a. Played the tune b. In front of the camera c. In a jam. It's the newbie trifecta. Well done.
  47. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry - +1 on what Sleet wrote! The trifecta. Bravo! Thanks for sharing.