Week #429 ~ The Spey In Spate (J.S. Skinner)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Not many voters this week (4), but we do have a winner... The Spey in Spate, by J. S. Skinner, which was submitted as a Scottish reel.

According to The Session, this is also known as Da Spey In Spate, John Stewart’s, Spey And Spate, The Spey In A Spate, Spey In A State, The Spey In The Spate.

Here is a link to two settings on thesession.org.

Here's standard notation and abc on abctunesearch

Here's a link to this tune from the University of Aberdeen., that also has this: This lively reel has been named to make the listener think of a flood of rushing water, just like the famous angling river, the River Spey, in Morayshire, Scotland. Note the accompaniment with the held bass notes - part of Skinner's trademark style.

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I love this tune! My old recording on OM and mandolin (both Mid-Mo instruments) has already been posted by Barbara above -- it's the fourth of the linked videos and The Spey In Spate starts at 2:10.

I learned this tune from Nigel Gatherer. The link to his transcription with mandolin tab is at:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab4/spey.html

Martin
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Martin.

Here is my version, done today, on mandolin and acoustic guitar. Coincidentally I am using the arrangement from Nigel as well! He is a great source of fine tunes.

Unfortunately I have not been anywhere near the River Spey, so my mighty river is a wee burn which runs through Glenbranter near my home! Apologies to both the Spey and Mr Skinner.

4. Jairo Ramos Parra
    Jairo Ramos Parra
    A pleasure to listen you, Mr.Kelly, as always!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Absolutely lovely there John, enjoyed that very much!
  6. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Nice work, John and Martin. I've managed to learn this fun tune, but I'm still playing it at a snail's pace. Given its name, it needs to move along more briskly....
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind words, folks. Skinner wrote some amazing tunes. I was up in Dingwall at the weekend and visited the monument to Hector MacDonald, the Hector of Skinner's tune "Hector the Hero". Inspiring sight.
  8. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Really nice recording John, congratulations.
  9. lmartnla
    lmartnla
    After years of enjoying this site, suddenly I cannot see most of the posted videos. can anyone help me regain this ability? My computer functions quite well otherwise. Please help or point me somewhere to go.

Thanks---Lou
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent contributions from Martin and John as usual. I used the Nigel Gatherer version on Traditional Music and although the notation was fine, three notes didn't appear on the tab.
    All the videos are working fine for me.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Clean picking, MM.
    Re comments from Imartnla, There are two of the videos in this thread that come up with "Not available" messages when I click on them; they are the Natalie McMaster and Dick Gaughan ones. Probably something to do with copyright?
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Imartnla - there may be some browser update behind that. There are two ways of embedding videos on MC:
    -in YouTube's native Html4 format (with that movie button)
    - as a Cafe-converted Flash element (with the youtube button)
    Flash is a well-known malware carrier today, that's why many modern browsers and proxies filter it away unless you explicitly enable it. Look into your browser's settings and see if you find that switch.