Week #428 ~ The Lilies in the Field

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Lilies in the Field, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional reel. According to The Session, it's also known as Come To Your Tay, The Lilies Of The Field, Lillies In The Field, The Lillies In The Field, Lillies Of The Field, P J Conlonís, P.J. Conlonís.

Here's a link to five settings of the tune on thesession.org

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my version. Trying out a new mic for the iPhone - a Focusrite iTrack Pocket mic, got it on clearance from B&H Photo for $19.99! You'll hear faint crying towards the end of the tune - that's my 10 month old Beagle pup Janey Mack letting me know that it was tea time!

3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice Jill, i'm working on Harry Bradleys version at the minute, hopefully post in a day or two.
    how are you getting on with the beagle pup, ive always found scent driven breeds to be fairly stubborn.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Lawrence! Looking forward to hearing that Harry Bradley version! The Beagle pup is a wee gem, though definitely was hard work when I first got her - first pup I've had who NEVER takes naps!
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great work Jill - super triplets as usual.This is thbest I could do.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    What a sweet and lovely tone you're getting from that mandolin - nice job!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise! A video from me! I'm thinking if I want you guys to participate more, I need to make more effort!

Here's Lilies in the Field played twice through (some mistakes) on my Collings MT2O mandolin. I know it's supposed to be faster, and I wish I could play just ONE triplet in there without fumbling, but I couldn't, so I left it out!

8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice to see a video from you again, and it's always good to slow things down to help others learn. I don't tend to "do" reels because my brain goes into meltdown at that speed. But your slower version is encouraging me to give this one a go.

The A part sounds somewhat similar to the Peeler's Jacket. There may be a set in that.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Delighted to see a video from you again Barbara! Lovely version and lovely tone as always. Your relaxed right hand technique has always been an inspiration to me, and back in the day when I first joined the group it directly influenced me to focus more on improving my own!
  10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff Barbara, it took a little while for this one to grow on me but i like it now, Harry pairs it with the gatehouse maid, so thats another to add to my to learn list

11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see you posting again, Barbara, and a cleanly-picked version from you.
    Gortnamona, fine playing and a great sound from that instrument.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Lawrence! I'll need to learn the Gatehouse Maid now as I've been looking for a tune to pair this one with - cheers for the heads up!