June Tune Project

1. Sleet
    Sleet
    We're back in Old-Time territory for our June tune of the month - Bill Cheatham. Baron has a lesson on this one; http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...bill-cheatham/ and there are many fine YouTube examples and lessons.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    The one version that I like best, out of many that I really really like, is Paul Warren and Doc Watson with Earl Scruggs playing backup:

Sorry, no mandolin. But Bill Cheatham is a fiddle tune. And Paul Warren was about the best fiddler back then. If you dig into YouTube, you can find a couple of Bill Monroe recordings, but I just like this one better.

So,who was Bill Cheatham? What's the story?". Nobody seems to know for sure. The tune can be traced back to the middle of the 19th century, when it rather suddenly 'appeared' and became quite popular, especially as a required tune in fiddling contests. One of the videos I saw introduced the tune by saying that it was composed by a patient in the Tennessee Lunatic Asylum, which was the first psychiatric hospital in Tennessee built and run for the treatment of mental illness as opposed to just locking 'crazy' people up. This hospital was run by one Dr. William A. Cheatham and the tune was allegedly written to thank him for his compassionate approach.

I don't think that story has been fully verified, but it's a good one, so I'm sticking to it. Dr. Cheatham and his hospital did indeed exist.
  3. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Hurrah, more old time tunes. The more I listen and learn, the more I enjoy OT. And Bill Cheatham has been on the to do list. Just have to find time to get this tune sorted out. I have been playing tunes with double stop primarily lately. The one new tune I have worked with is 'Whiter shade of Pale'.

Crazy people huh! Well I qualify as that. My friends will agree.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey Trav. We need to have a big map so every time you post you can stick a pin in to show your current location.
  5. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Hank, very funny. I think I was in your neck of the woods this week. Oregon right? That map might look funny however, I spent 3 weeks back and forth LA to Salt Lake. Going get "Bill" copied to my binder and work on him.
  6. gandy
    gandy
    I'd never heard this tune before. So, I'm really glad it was chosen for Tune of the Month - I'm loving the B part.
    My version is not great (Yet! ) I seem to be having a few slow finger days - left hand no way nearing the speed of my brain
    I will get there hopefully before Mrs Gandy threatens damage to me/my mandolin if I "don't stop playing that d@mn tune over & over....."
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hank, thanks for that background story, I'll take it on faith.
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    OK, here we go with an official newbie post. I have a better one in me, I just couldn't get it out, and I wanted to post something before other things take over again. I got lost in all the variation possibilities on this, and had to rein it in a bit in order to get something I could actually DO front to back. I've played it AABB-AB.

I've worked on trying to make the rhythm bouncy, which I think is the key on this tune. I'm sounding a bit tired on this take, but the intention is there. Oh yeah, that blue thing on my leg isn't a fashion statement, it's one of those sticky rubber mats you put in a silverware drawer. Works great to anchor an A5!

Let's hear some more!!
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I thought it was an excellent rendition. Man, that seems like like a really note-y tune! I really hope I can get to this and to Kentucky Waltz this month. Been all day working on the next Woodshed lesson. Whether or not I ever get to it, I sure liked your playing of it, bbcee! Good timing and execution.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I like it a lot. Steady beat, well picked. Even the triplets are crisp.

I hope to get my attempt posted before July. But I can,t follow that.
  11. Spragster
    Spragster
    Sounded great to me! I'm waiting till the end of the month before I embaffas myself. Maybe I'll get something listenable by then🤠
  12. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    As Mark said "this is a note-y tune". I have a version of this with lot's of notes. From a book by Dan Levinson. It appears that the verse from mando lessons is almost the same . I just haven't worked out that one.

BBCEE I like what you are doing.
  13. fifths
    fifths
    Nice and steady BCEE! I have put a little time into this one, but haven't gotten to such a long streak of crisp playing with no wipeouts or brain flatulence. Nicely done
  14. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Practicing the tune of the month with grand-niece's supervision and guidance:
  15. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I'm finally starting to get that right hand "motor" going, as Baron always says. Just gotta keep it going steady on a tune like this.

@Hank looks like we have another mandolinist ready to join the fold!!
  16. fifths
    fifths
    Hey Bbcee, you are spot-on about adding the bounciness, I reached the same conclusion. There was an "aha" moment when I heard it in my head with an exaggerated emphasis: ONE two three four... I'm not saying I got there, but a little bit of swing helps keep that torrent of notes from becoming drivel, and adds to the dance-ability. Here's me, accelerating through it like an airport taxi racing for a fare.

https://youtu.be/F1AmwMDcGJc

any more coming?
  17. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good job, fifths.

I am in that airport taxi racing for a presentable run-through to post here. One of my problems is that I like this tune so much I hate to hear myself trying to play it 'right'. But I'll post something before the deadline.
  18. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Cool beans, fifth! An enjoyable listen for sure.

"any more coming?" - Some of us stragglers will surely come through. I haven't even tried this one yet, but aim to try it soon.
  19. Spragster
    Spragster
    Well here's what I've got so far. Not perfect but fun regardless. I stuck some banjo tabs into guitar pro to back me up (read help keep time)
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Mike, I enjoyed watching that. Your banjo backup had a sort of an oriental flavor to my ears, and I liked your timing on Bill Cheatham. The mandolin sounds great.
  21. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, helping keep time is what back up is for, right? Seems to have worked anyway. Your rhythm comes out steady and even with a missed note or two you got the train back on the tracks before anything serious happened. That's fine. Good work.
  22. bbcee
    bbcee
    Good job, guys! "Stupid triplets" indeed. Go at them lightly, Spragster, rather than digging in. That's what's working for me.

Fifths, besides a good Bill Cheatum, I'm enjoying your YT channel. "Dead Man's Curve" and "Magic Man" ukulele-ized! Brilliant!!
  23. Sleet
    Sleet
    bbcee - your bounce works really well and it's a pleasure to listen to. It you were tired, I'm not hearing it. Very nice.

fifths - I like the way you keep the sound full. As always, great job. Drive carefully.

Spragster - Nice work keeping the rhythm with the backing track. The version I'm working on doesn't have the triplets, but has some stretchier notes that are tripping me up. Maybe it'll come together tomorrow.
  24. Spragster
    Spragster
    Thanks for the input folks, its really cool to see how everyones interpretation of the same tune rolls out.
    I've started messing with mixing up some barrelhousing into the eights, sounds kinda fun and makes the triplets a little easier to get through for some reason.
  25. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    What's barrelhousing?
  26. Spragster
    Spragster
    Barrelhousing is a term i picked up from my father Hank, basically change a string of eighth notes to pairs of a 16th and a dotted 8th. It has a tuplet feel and sound to it. Like the beginning of the battle hymn of the republic, the "mine eyes have seen the glory" could be played evenly or with accents on the off beats, the offbeat style could be considered barrelhouse improvisation.
  27. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here it is. It's a day late so I cut it a dollar short. But I am now ready for July.

28. Sleet
    Sleet
    I long ago passed the point of diminishing returns with this tune so I'm posting one I recorded long ago, when the earth was young and hope for improvement was a thing. At least I earn my participation sticker that way:

Nice, Hank. I see your grand-niece got you into shape. Interesting history. I hope when my fiddle playing drives me to the asylum, it'll be one of the "moral treatment" kind.
  29. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good job, Sleet. That is an interesting version. Looks like a good pinkie exerciser, too. The pinkie part of mine just didn't make it out of the mandolin on this run-through.
  30. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I enjoyed them both! Hank, I see you practiced what you preached, not once glancing at either hand as they worked their musical magic. Good job. Looks like you are becoming more comfortable with your playing and it's fun to watch.

Sleet, I think you're doing fine - and I know how the 'diminishing returns' thingy works, sometimes you have to let it go for a while - but this one sounds great no matter when you recorded it.

I finally got around to Bill Cheatum, and practiced it last night, so I'll probably post one soon.
  31. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Now, if I could just learn how to smile without looking like 'a mule eating briars'.*

* from The Dillards - Live! album.
  32. Chunta
    Chunta
    My turn. So many different ways to play this one! I kept hearing other people's versions and trying to copy, and then just had to choose so I tried to do something a little different each time through. It was a fun song to learn.

33. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Chunta, you got your motor running at a pretty good clip and you still got a triplet in there and then snuck in a 9th fret C#. Not to mention a bit of the Bill Cheatham Blues. Good stuff. Nice job.

Edit: 9th fret on the E string is NOT a B. My revised estimate is C#.
  34. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Good one, Chunta! Beautiful.
  35. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well done, all three of you! Hank, that was a nice version, good note choice. Sleet ... been there! Leaving it & coming back to it the next day often helps me. But I thought this older version was very good. Chunta, very nice variations & tempo. You got the motor running!

On to July, though I hope we'll see some more postings on this one.
  36. Sleet
    Sleet
    A lot to like about your version, Chunta. Solid rhythm, assured technique, enviable accuracy. Good work!
  37. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I had to go with it this morning just to get it off the to-do list. I had a lot of trouble with this note-y tune, I was late to the game, so here I am looking as though I'm channeling one of Dr. Cheatum's mental patients.

It was fun trying to learn this tune, despite the sour look on my face.

38. Spragster
    Spragster
    Wow Chunta and Wow Mark, you guys made that look easy. Very nice to hear and watch!
  39. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Real good job, Mark.
  40. choctaw61
    choctaw61
    Very nice guys! All of you make it look so easy.
  41. bbcee
    bbcee
    Sounding real good, Mark. Nice double stops & a light, steady, happy feel (despite that sour look
  42. Sleet
    Sleet
    I was looking forward to your version, Mark, and enjoyed it. The double stops enhance the tune and the rhythmic bounce gives it a nice energy.
  43. fifths
    fifths
    Hey Mark, great one, bouncy, kinetic, smooth. Not crazy at all!
    That's what my version sounds like in my head. Unfortunately it's still a little lumpy in real life.
    It's a very fun tune, I was running it through with a buddy on guitar who is about the same ability level as I, and we had a blast, even got through AABBAA cleanly twice!
  44. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks for all the nice comments!

@Fifths - it's always cool to play it out with a buddy or two!
  45. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Just posted for "Mandolin Mondays"