Week #421 ~ Sugarfoot Rag

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Sugarfoot Rag, which was submitted as a Bluegrass tune. Those of you who are into Bluegrass can probably help me out here!

I found this on abcnotation.com, from Nigel Gatherer

2. Tomo
    Tomo
    Alright guys, here's my run at it. I realised a way in that the version I was learning wasn't in A, but I just decided to lean into it. Super fun tune!

3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Tom. That's you got two under your belt now. Isn't this a great group.
  4. Tomo
    Tomo
    Thanks John, really enjoying it. I've played bass in a bluegrass/oldtime/Australian folk band for years now, but finally decided I wanted to get into some melody. I have to move to the country by myself for 3 months for fieldwork for my PhD, so I'm super keen to use that time well and get a whole lot of these SOWs to my name.
  5. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Welcome to the mandolin world, Tomo. Once the Mando Bug has bitten you, there is no cure! Just set back and enjoy.
    BTW, folks here is a version by the IIIrd Tyme Out. Wayne Benson's breaks are sick!!
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff, Tom. My version is not in A either, it is in D.
  7. Tomo
    Tomo
    Hey maudlin, thanks heaps! Your turnarounds are really great, particuarly on the A part, I reckon I'll have to nick them!
  8. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I have had some major changes take place in the last couple of years which hindered my playing. My group disbanded, my jams ceased due to a variety of reasons, etc etc. I was playing last night with a family that has asked me to provide mando on a CD project. I was so depressed after the practice due to my 'rustiness'. I decided to jump back in to the SAW because I remember that learning these tunes kept ones mind open and fingers limber. This version of Sugarfoot Rag is in G. It is rough but it will get better. I may later post it in A and B.
  9. Tomo
    Tomo
    Super cool sasquatch! Something to aspire to; I particularly like your alternate A part in the second half.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The rust is very quickly buffed off to a shine, Sasquatch! Nice playing.