Week #420 ~ Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week we had a tie, and I left the poll up one extra day (and only 5 votes in total!)... anyway, I'll break the tie and proclaim Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre as the winner. It's an Irish Traditional jig (but when looking for videos, I find it's actually a 'humorous Scottish song with lyrics)... it's also known as The Cleansing Of George’s Cowshed, Glounreagh, Glounreagh Slide, The Glounreagh, He Muckin O Geordie’s Byre, Jordie, Jordie’s, The Muckin O Geordie’s Byre, The Muckin O’ Geordie’s Byre, Muckin O’Geordie’s Byre, Muckin’ Of Geordie’s Byre, The Muckin’ Of Geordie’s Byre, Mucking O’ Geordie’s Byre, The Mucking O’ Geordie’s Byre, Mucking Of Geordie’s Byre, The Mucking Of Geordie’s Byre, Mucking Out Geordie’s Byre, Mucking Out The Byre, O’ Lassie Are You Sleeping?, Strip The Willow.

Here's a link to three settings on TheSession.org

I found a lot of videos on YouTube that included this in a set!

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great! Another Scottish tune, Barbara. Thanks for your casting vote!

My version has "Geordie's Byre" paired with another old favourite, "Merrily Danced The Quaker's Wife." This version of the jig is the one recently taught at Lochgoilhead Fiddle Workshop by Mairi Voinot, a fine young Scottish traditional fiddler and tutor at the LFW.

3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ah, another "cleaning" song! There seems to be a persistent theme about these, and they seem kind of related (compare Do You Want Your Old Lobby Washed Down).
    But I like your simple version better than all these funny songs, John.
    Talking about relations - that second jig is an interesting distant cousin of the Irish Merrily Kissed the Quaker, apparently.
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great sound from your mandolin John. I was waiting for the third part of merrily but maybe it doesn't get played around your parts?
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, B and J. New strings helped in getting a good sound, James; I made this mandolin in August 2015, so it is still very new. Cedar top and rosewood back and sides. Interestingly when Mairi was playing "Merrily Danced" to us I said to her that I knew a different part as the B part, going up to a high B on the E string. I was remembering it from my schooldays when we sang the song in school choir. Now you have me thinking about all three parts!
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff there John, that mandolin is very sweet sounding indeed!
  7. Tomo
    Tomo
    Hi guys,

New to the forums, just got a mando and super keen to get on it! So I thought I'd get started straight away with this one, really nice tune. Pardon the sloppyness, I figured I should get it learned before the next tune comes out.

Super keen to get on the tune a week, can't think of a better way to get some tunes under my belt, and everyone seems pretty friendly!

Tom

8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jill, thanks for your kind comments.
    Tom, welcome and congratulations on your first posting in the SAW group. it is indeed a very friendly and encouraging place to post your music and just to meet like-minded folk. Looking forward to your next posting.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Welcome Tom, you've come to the right place. This is Hotel California for learning new tunes.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Tom! Welcome to the forum and the SAW social group!
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    Welcome Tom, it's good to hear new members in this group! Good luck with learning some new tunes from other members, to me it is always been a very helpful forum.. You already sound good!
  12. Tomo
    Tomo
    Thanks heaps guys! Started on this weeks already!