"Mandolin Master Class" Study Group

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    In another thread, I offered to lead a study group going through Brad Laird's Mandolin Master Class together - not as a teacher but as a fellow student. This is the thread that begins that journey.

If you need to purchase your copy of the study text, click on the image:

From the title page of Mandolin Master Class:

A study of mandolin practice techniques, scales, improvisation ideas, and music theory designed for mandolin students who have a basic understanding of reading tablature, chord charts and basic mandolin technique and are interested in taking their playing to a higher level.

Each new lesson will get its own thread, and will be cross-linked to this central thread, so that finding all the lessons and following them in order will be possible at any time.

STUDY GROUP GUIDELINES

While anyone can follow along with study group posts, and make comments (that's the whole point of doing it in a forum group, so it will be open and accessible to anyone at any time), I'm going to post a list of requirements for full participation.

For full participation, the requirements are:
    1. A mandolin in hand
    No-brainer: You'll want to play through and practice all the examples in the book. This will be primarily chords and scales. The only way to learn will be with your fingers on your mandolin.
    2. A copy of the ebook
    Another no-brainer: This is a study group using Mandolin Master Class by Bradley Laird as a text. While I suspect that anyone can follow these threads and gain something, and participate in some way, obviously you can't really do all the assignments without the textbook. Get a copy ASAP.
    3. A metronome (metronome tracks are included in the ebook download!)
    Yes, we will make constant use of your evil friend, the metronome in this study group. What's more, use of the evil gnome will begin very soon, within the first few lessons. Watch for the gnome!
    4. A tuner
    Please use a tuner and have your mandolin in tune while you practice. What you hear and feel will be as important as where you put your fingers on the mandolin.

Optional, and strongly encouraged accessories:
    1. A means to record and upload video
    Some of the assignments will ask you to upload a progress video. Even when not asked, all participants are encouraged to share videos of their progress. It will be to your advantage to learn how to do this if you don't already know how.
    2. Tabledit program or tabledit viewer
    The tabledit program is a strong tool for making a written record of lessons and of your own musical ideas. For those who do not wish to purchase tabledit, there is a free tabledit viewer that allows you to read and use the files. Some lessons will ask you to submit tabledit files. Even when not asked, all participants are encouraged to share tabledit files of their musical ideas, or practice routines they develop while going through this course of study.
    3. A printed copy of ebook
    Printing the ebook is a good idea, because you can write notes in the margin. Obviously this is an old-school way. It's what I do, it's not required, this is a suggestion.
    4. A music stand
    Again, this is something you can do without, but I'd strongly recommend using one. There is a reason they've been used all these years. It gets your notebook, sheet music, device, whatever your learning material, it gets it at eye level and ready for pretty much hands-free use.

IN THE BEGINNING . . .

Ready to start already? Got your ebook now? The first thing I'd suggest doing is to read through the book. This will be the one time you need not use your mandolin, just read the book, don't get bogged down, just "cheat" a little and get a good preview of what's coming. Links to all group lesson assignments will be added in the next post.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    LESSONS FOR MANDOLIN MASTER CLASS STUDY GROUP

Playlist of All Lesson Videos Here

Lesson One: Music Theory and Monkeys

Lesson Two: All About the Major Scale

Lesson Three: The Big Secret

Lesson Four: Arpeggios

Lesson Five: The Circle of Fifths

Lesson Six: What About Minor Chords?

Lesson Seven: Chords By The Numbers

Lesson Eight: Pentatonic Scales (led by Henry Stevens)

Lesson Nine: Using The Pentatonic Scale (led by Henry Stevens)

Soon to come:
    17. I Read All This But What Do I Play?
    18. Playing The Melody
    19. Ear Training
    20. Embellishing The Melody
    21. The Chordal Noise Method
    22. The Chain Of Licks
    23. Triangular Fingerboard Mapping
    24. Triangular Movement Of Scales
    25. Does All This Thinking Give You The Blues?
    26. How Can You Use The Blues Scale When Improvising?
    27. Experimentation
    28. Timing
    29. Up Means Down
    ----------------------------
    Appendices and Extras
    30. Arpeggio Exercise In All Keys
    31. Examples of Various Improvisation Methods
    32. Sample Pentatonic Improvisation
    33. Mandolin Fingerboard Chart
    34. Music Theory Section
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    A third video has been added to lesson two now, titled "The Dirty Dozen" - read the intro and watch the video here
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    A fourth video added to lesson Two along with PDF and .tef files showing more scale variations. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...867&do=discuss
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Lesson three assignments are posted! https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...cussionid=5883
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Lesson Six Just Published: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=5959&do=discuss

IN ADDITION, Brad has offered to respond to anyone's question about his materials here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...947&do=discuss
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Lesson Eight has been published, "Pentatonic Scales" ... this lesson is being led by Henry Stevens, "HonketyHank"

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...061&do=discuss
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Lesson Nine has been published, "Using The Pentatonic Scale" ... this lesson was also led by Henry Stevens

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...089&do=discuss
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Bumping this back to top!
  12. mandorider
    mandorider
    So it looks like this group is no longer active. Correct?
  13. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Not necessarily, mandorider. It would seem so because I haven’t posted a new lesson in a very long time, and also no one has posted a comment or question. The reason the group is set up the way it is: Anyone can start the course at any time, just begin on lesson one. Make comments or post videos in the thread for the lesson you’re working on and you’ll get a response.

I have plans to do more lessons when I’m ready to make videos again.
  14. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    BTW, I’m a long way from home on a job site, otherwise I’d have seen your post sooner.