Week #416 ~ Bonny at Morn

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Bonny at Morn, which was submitted as an English tune. This seems to be a song with lyrics...

Here's notation, in Em and lyrics, on abcnotation.com

Here's one setting on thesession.org

Here's a link to a discussion of this tune in the regular forum

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Bonny At Morn is a lovely tune from Northumbria. I recorded it a few years ago as a set with another Northumbrian tune, "Whittingham Green Lane". I start and finish with "Bonny At Morn", taking it a bit faster than normal to match the tempo of the more lively "Whittingham Green lane".

Harmonies by for Whittingham Green Lane" by "hatao":
    http://celtnofue.com/PDF/whittingham_green_lane_G.pdf

Harmonies for Bonny At Morn by Eric Allan:
    http://www.ericallanscottishmusic.co.uk

Arranged for mandolin quartet by me.

Mandolin 1: Mid-Missouri M-0W
    Mandolin 2: 1921 Gibson Ajr
    Mid-Missouri M-0W octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I like the Duncan Chisholm version best so I tried to play mine more like an air.

4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine and very different versions, gents. Like David, I too liked the slow version and I am a great fan of Duncan Chisholm's fine fiddle playing.

Here is my version, recorded this morning and using the melody and first harmony part from Martin's chosen Eric Allan arrangement and then adding guitar chords as suggested from this same arrangement. Mandolin is one of my own builds and the guitar is my Lowden O32.

5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nicely done John, the slower version is definitely more moving and bonny.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions everyone!
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great renditions, David and John!. I especially like the concertina on David's -- it suits the tune. I agree that Bonny At Morn is better as a slow air and I may re-record mine like that. The only reason it was faster and more rhythmic on my old recording is that I wanted to make it into a waltz medley with Wittingham Green Lane.

Martin
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I quite like the speed you played it at as well Martin!
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Solo and with accompaniment.
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is a lovely Northumbrian tune, which I occasionally get to play at local sessions. I made a video of this when I first learnt it and posted it to the Newbies group. Today I thought I'd try recording it to Soundcloud in a cheeky break in the office.