Week #414 ~ Tommy Peoples Mazurka

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Tommy Peoples Mazurka. I'm not familiar with the tune, and am still on the road, posting from my phone! Will someone familiar with this tune please find some notation and videos? Thanks!
  2. Francis J
    Francis J
    Baron Collins Hill's excellent version.

3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    There are six different versions at The Session, here's one of them:

X: 2
    T: Tommy Peoples'
    R: mazurka
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    DF|:"D"AF A2dc|"G"BG B2ed|"A"cB c2BA|"D"F2F2DF|"D"AF A2dc|"G"BG B2ed|
    "A"cB c2BA|[1"D"d2d2DF:|[2"D"d2d2fg||"D"af d2A2|"G"c2B2ef|"A"ge c2A2|
    "D"Bc A2fg|"D"af d2A2|"G"c2B2ef|"A"gecABc|[1"D"d2d2fg:|[2"D"D2D4|]
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I learned this one ages ago as "Kitty's Fancy", played here on mandolin, concertina, octave mandolin with backing on cittern and bass.

5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a great tune -- I recorded it a couple of years ago and we've been playing it with our practice group pretty regularly since then. There are a number of different names for the tune. To the extent that there is such a thing as an "official" name, it's probably "John Doherty's Mazurka" as that's the name used on the Comhaltas website, but another one is "The Donegal Mazurka".

My 2014 recording on my Gibson Ajr (double-tracked) with tenor guitar backing is here:

Harmony is from Michel Van Der Meiren's site:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/...eoples-mazurka

Martin
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent work by David and Martin.
    This is the version suggested by David with some guitar backing.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I like this simple tune.... I'm not familiar with marzukas. I looked up the info about them, and listened to the several Tommy People's You Tube videos.... I've got a question.... which is more correct... playing it straight (like Martin) or dotted (syncopated) (like David)? I like the dotted way better.... it reminds me of hornpipes, and I love them dotted, too!
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Barbara: To the extent that there is a single "correct" way of playing any tune, I would think the official Comhaltas website is pretty definitive. They have a very nice free MP3 recording of this mazurka, played in straight quavers -- I listened to this one before recording my version, although I don't reach their speed:

https://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/jo...ertys_mazurka/

Martin