Week #409 ~ Tom Bhetty's Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Not a whole lot of voting this week, but we do have a winner, so I'll go ahead and post it! The winner this week is Tom Bhetty's Waltz, which was submitted as an Irish Tune.

Here is a link to two settings of this tune on thesession.org

Videos!

This guy looks familiar!

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I voted for it so I figured I'd better give it a shot. This tune is much harder than it looks, or at least it was for me. It didn't sound that great on the mandolin but the octave seems to make it work and it was easier to play, go figure.

3. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very pretty, David, as usual!
  4. Francis J
    Francis J
    Lovely flawless playing David. I'm trying it myself, and I see what you mean about not being so easy to play !
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff David - it is indeed a tricky one. I learnt it (and I use that term loosely) at a Kieran Hanrahan workshop years ago at the Feakle Festival. I'd only been playing tenor banjo about 2 months at that stage and didn't read ABC's or dots so had to try to pick it up all by ear, not for the faint hearted!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm loving learning this tune! While I mainly am into melody playing on the mandolin, I've also been learning the guitar, so I'm working on the chords. I came up with what I liked, then found some notation with chords that were quite similar... but I'm struggling with a couple of measures... where there's obviously a run.... Here's what I've come up with for chords:

A: G G G C G G D D7 G G G C G D C G
    B: D D C C G G D D7 G ? ? C G D C G

Can anyone help me with those two ???
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, here's a link to a pdf of what I played which is a little different than yours. The chords you are looking for are Am & Bm.

https://app.box.com/s/ds3wavpca19n9gtcxnve2ff74o0sin75
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, thanks so much!!!
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, I really love this tune, but those high A's and B's are killers to play cleanly!

Here's my rendition, just one time through, on my Collings MT2O mandolin!

10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds great Barbara, very nice version there!
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Sounds great Barbara, so sign of sloppy A's & B's to these ears.
  12. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recordings with David's octave and Barbara's Collings. I have hit a mental roadblock on the timing of bars 26-28 but hope to have it fall into place soon.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I have problems with the same section, listen to Barbara's version, she plays it correctly. I played it wrong in my version.
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I learned this tune many years ago from Nigel Gatherer's transcription:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab3/tomb.html

Barbara has already posted a very old solo recording of mine in her opening post above. I have today re-recorded it with tenor guitar waltz rhythm. I haven't played this for a while, but muscle memory took over and the tricky bits fell into place fairly smoothly.

Melody played on mandolin, joined the second time around on tenor guitar an octave down.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

I'm using somewhat different chords from the ones posted above. Mine are:

A part: G G D D7 G G D D7 G G D Em Am7 D G G
    B part: D D Am7 D7 G G D D7 G D Em Em Am7 D7 G G

Martin
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely Martin, and great imagery in your video as well. I remember those old wooden traveller caravans very well indeed - they were still a sight to be seen on the roads in my childhood (especially during the summers when we'd go down to Kerry to visit my aunt's parents).
  16. Francis J
    Francis J
    I love this tune, and some great versions there folks. So a bit late, and bare bones, here's my take.

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Francis, no worries about the bare bones take on it as it possesses that lovely waltz feel and that's all ye need!