Week #405 ~ Down the Back Lane

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Down the Back Lane, which was submitted as an IT jig. I love jigs!

Here is a link to 5 settings of this tune on thesession.org, where it says it is also known as Boring The Leather, The Cavan Brigade, SÍos An Lána Cúil, Tolladh An Leathair. It seems to be a popular piping tune!

When I searched this tune on You Tube, I discovered that it's mostly played in sets!

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Mandolin and Bouzouki set to a surreal old Betty Boop cartoon - Snow White

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff James and the old cartoon seems choreographed for it!
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i enjoyed that James they go so well together
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great pairing of music and cartoon here, James.
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks folks for the kind comments. looking forward to some other versions!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Figuring out chords isn't my strong point.... does anyone have them for this tune?
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Chords aren't my strong point either Barbara, but I think that's not a bad thing in Irish music. My approach on the bouzouki is to tune GDAD, know what key/mode you're in and use the capo so that I can play usually out of a D scale, or related minor or dorian mode and play the notes/chords/partial chords of that scale on the back of a drone by ear and try to follow the melody - there are of course common patterns. I've played standard tune guitar for nearly 40 years but I can't back Irish music on guitar in standard tuning, and I have the greatest respect for those that can do it in a fluid and varied style - managing to drop the 3rds from common chord shapes can be a struggle in itself. Doing it on the zouk on the back of a knowledge of the tunes played on a GDAE instrument seems like cheating to me, and is a bit one dimensional to be honest but it's all I can do. I still think it is infinetely better that when I used to to play backup in the Ceilidh band following chord charts - I'm so much happier now that I'm free of the tyranny of predictable chord progressions - and I can turn up at a gig and not worry about having the sheet music!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So much sense in your approach, James. I find a lot of what you say when backing Scottish pipe tunes and often hear other folk trying to add in complex chords to their backings. I always keep in mind the fact that bagpipe music played on the pipes has a backing of tenor and bass drones, playing the note A but an octave apart (I know that the pipes actually do not play in Concert A but are closer to Bb, but the point is that there is just the sound of two As constantly droning). As soon as we begin to add chords we are moving away from the sound of the pipes, yet we do add basic chords, and when playing pipe tunes on other instruments we will generally sharpen the G which is not a note on the pipe chanter scale. So pleased to see you saying what you say here.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Finally got a chance to do some recording today courtesy of the appalling weather!

11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You always manage to make it look so easy and relaxed, Jill. Good work again.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Jill, I love the sound of that Ome banjo and your playing is always the best.

James, the cartoon and your playing are a perfect match, excellently done.

Barbara, chords are my thing but I think that mixolydian tunes sound best unaccompanied or with quiet droning things like James played on his bouzouki. Here's the chords for my version, probably not very good for Irish backup. https://app.box.com/s/tsk1xq531yf26f9r8p06tqsw947dqo51

That being said I did add accompaniment to my version. I picked up an electric mandola in the classifieds and had a new toy to try. I apologize in advance to all who might be offended by my take on this tune. Although I must admit I really had a lot of fun with this even though the backup up is really stupid.

13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the kind words lads!

David, I loved that version! It has a vaguely "surf-y" quality to it courtesy of the electric mandola!
  14. Francis J
    Francis J
    Three great versions. James, no cheating detected! Jill, those triplets are becoming more fluent all the time. David, that's an awesome version, I love the crunchy Bass.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, a really catchy version, and I for one have no problems with your arrangement and instrument choice! Love the new toy, and thanks for posting the pdf with the chords you used.
  16. JL277z
    JL277z
    Great versions all!

David Hansen wrote: "... electric mandola ... I apologize in advance to all who might be offended by my take on this tune. ..."

Offended?! Heck no, it's awesome! Love it!
  17. Francis J
    Francis J
    Here's my take on it. Windows 10 doesn't like some of my old drivers, so its a basic webcam job.

18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Francis, lovely tone as well!