Week #400 ~ Careless Love

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm back home, and will be for a while! Y'all might have noticed that I didn't even post anything about a poll for week #400. I'm declaring a winner based on the votes in week #398, and will post a new poll for next week!

That said, this week's tune is Careless Love. I'm not familiar with it, and I'm not sure exactly what whoever suggested it, had in mind! This is what I found on wikipedia.

"Careless Love" is a traditional song of obscure origins.

Blues versions are popular; the lyrics change from version to version, but usually speak of the heartbreak brought on by "careless love." Frequently, the narrator threatens to kill his or her wayward lover.

Love, oh love, oh careless love,
    You fly to my head like wine,
    You've ruined the life of many a poor girl,
    and you nearly wrecked this life of mine

"Careless Love" was one of the best known pieces in the repertory of the Buddy Bolden band in New Orleans, Louisiana at the very start of the 20th century, and has remained a jazz standard and blues standard. Hundreds of recordings have been made in folk, blues, jazz, country, and pop styles; some of the more notable versions include those by Bessie Smith, Marilyn Lee, Ottilie Patterson, Pete Seeger, and George Lewis. Big Joe Turner recorded it several times over his long career. T. Texas Tyler recorded a version in 1946 for 4-Star records. Fats Domino made a recording of it in 1951, and it has also been sung by Elvis Presley, Eddy Arnold, Entrance, Louis Armstrong, Eartha Kitt, Lonnie Johnson, Blind Boy Fuller, Dave Van Ronk, Lead Belly, Odetta, Lee Wiley, Janis Joplin, Siouxsie Sioux, Suzy Bogguss, Joan Baez, Ray Charles, Ace Cannon, Ronnie Lane, Dr. John, Madeleine Peyroux, Bob Dylan, Bill Monroe and Johnny Cash, Frankie Laine, Skip James, Snooks Eaglin,[1] Harry Connick Jr., French composer and clarinettist Jean-Christian Michel and Italian songwriter and singer Lucio Dalla in his debut single in 1964 and Hugh Laurie on his 2013 album Didn't It Rain.

Kenny Davern made a clarinet recording of Careless Love.

The song's melody also is used in other blues songs, notably "A bunch of thyme" and Moon Mullican's "Worries on my mind". Elements of the Bessie Smith version's melody show up in Jerry Lee Lewis's 1956 version of "Crazy Arms" as well.

Here are some You Tube Videos:

If anyone can find notation, I'd appreciate it!
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Mel Bay's method book has this tune in F but I have used Dix Bruce's First Lessons where it is in G and done a sort of cross picking arrangement.
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice crosspicking, maudlin mandolin!

I recorded a swing-La Pompe backup on my Gypsy Jazz Guitar and added solos on various stringed instruments, among them my Suzuki bowlback.
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
    And the same song in Italian: Amore imprudente
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    So here's my take on this classic. I liked both yours Christian but, I really like the Jazz version! Thanks for the listen!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely old-time country feel to this one, Frank. Very clean top Es on that instrument too!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    It's great how you increase thre intensity from chorus to chorus, Frank, resulting in double stop tremolo.
    BTW, I recorded a third version of CL, last year in an attempt to master the third position:
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting video with lots of special visual effects this time, Christian. The slow tremolo has become quite a distinguishing feature in your recordings and playing too. Fine production.