Week #399 ~ Crossing the Cumberland

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Crossing the Cumberland, which was submitted as a Bluegrass tune. I'm still in the road, posting from my phone, so I am again depending on you members to help me out with links!
  2. luurtie
    luurtie
    found this on fiddle hangout.. the sheet + tabs may be useful for mandolin

http://www.hangoutstorage.com/fiddle...3718152014.jpg

And a youtube mandolinvideo from John Baylor

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Crossing the Cumberlands is a really great banjo tune. I've played it here with a Kentucky mandolin and backup provided by my Simon & Patrick guitar.

Here's the chord progression:

A part: Gm F Gm Cm Gm Gm D D
    Gm F Gm Cm Gm D Gm Gm 2x

B part: Gm Gm Gm Gm Gm Gm D D
    Gm Gm Gm Gm Gm D Gm Gm 2x

4. luurtie
    luurtie
    That's a really nice rendition Michael. I't's good to hear something from you again! The tune is simple, which makes it harder to make it a good sounding tune.. you did a very good job there.. I found a lot of inspiration from a complete different version. It's the version on the cd; "The good Ol' Persons - part of a Story". John Reischman is a very tasteful musician and every mandolinplayer should listen to what he did when he played with that band. I do love it!
    Her is my version:

5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Michael and Hendrik, those are two very fine versions of this Monroe tune. Great tone from both of you too.
  6. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wow, two really great renditions in quite different styles!! Very nice.
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding very good there Hendrik. I dug out my old version from 2010 - because really this IS a banjo tune

8. luurtie
    luurtie
    I found your recording David, it's still a very good version of the tune.. Are you still doing recordingprojects or are you too busy with your livemusic? I love that Blue Velvet Band you play in!
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Hendrik - yes, I've just had too many other projects and not enough opportunities to work quietly on my own recordings the last couple of years, but I get to do plenty of picking every week with Sweetwater Creek and with the Blue Velvet Band. Will try to make a CD with the Blue Velvet Band in 2017.
  10. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    So many great versions here. This is a new tune to me and one I really like.