Week #395 ~ Farther Along

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Father Along, which was submitted as a US Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with it, so if you were the one who suggested this tune, and know what you had in mind, please chime in!

In searching for a tune/song of that name:

Wikipedia has this for a song called Father Along, which it calls a Southern Gospel Song.

I found this on abcnotation.com

Just do a You Tube search for Farther Along, and it seems there are many to choose from!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The Byrds had a great version of this old gospel song on one of their more obscure albums. Lots of mandolin and nice vocal harmonies...

3. crisscross
    crisscross
    Loved this song since I hesrd it on the Flying Burrito Brothers' "Gilded Palace of Sin" album,
    There's a clawhammer version in Dan Levenson's Gospel Banjo book, that I'm currently revisiting.
    My 8-track recorder doesn't work at te moment, so for the time being, an older version with electric mandolin will have to do.
    https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/farther-along
    But I promise to record one with an acoustic mandolin, as soon as my Tascam works again,
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this tune four years ago -- very straightforward on mandolin and tenor guitar.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Lovely versions by both crisscross and Martin.

Here's what I came up with this afternoon:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice version, Bob!
    Is that a real accordion in the background?
  7. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    crisscross--

It is. It's a one-row button accordion (melodeon) in D, actually. I do have a full-size piano accordion that I can play a little, but I'm much handier with the diatonic kind.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly