Week #394 ~ Old Spinning Wheel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've got some time to catch things up, so I'm announcing this week's winner, and getting a new poll posted in a very timely manner! This week's winner is "Old Spinning Wheel" which was submitted as a folk song! I'm not familiar with it, so let's see what I can find.

If whoever suggested this tune, can pipe in to point us in the right direction, that would be great, as there are a number of songs/tunes with this name!

Standard Notation in the key of D

Standard Notation and Mando TAB (arranged by Steve Kaufman) in the key of G

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bottom 2 videos in C, the top video plays it in Bb. Maybe there's no set key for this one.
  3. luurtie
    luurtie
    I thougt it would be nice tot start with a version in D. Here it is...

4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great. Full use of open string double stops in an old timey feel. Well done.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing and arrangement, Hendrik.
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's got a great feel, Hendrik. I really enjoy your playing.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice !
  8. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I haven't checked in here (or picked up a mandolin!) for five or six weeks, but when I finally logged on this afternoon and saw this week's tune I figured I could rough out a quick recording. I think I first heard "The Old Spinning Wheel" sung by Riley Puckett, on an LP from the late '70s called "Waitin' for the Evening Mail" (I may still have my copy somewhere).

Here's a version in C, with just enough backup on bass and uke to hold things together:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly