Performing with Poe/Driftwood

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Just curious, how many Poe/Driftwood owners play their instrument at gigs or other performance venues. I've played a couple of low key recitals, but beyond that, rarely bring my Poe #16 out of the house.
  2. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Played #5 in a band for about 2 years, recorded one CD with it. Currently just pickin it in Church and at jams and festivals.
  3. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Darrin,
    Do you ever make it to Michigan for festivals? I hope to hear you play sometime and see that #5 up close. It's quite the looker!
  4. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Just played a gig, where we did a mandolin duet on "Muddy Creek"- my friend played the Poe oval hole, harmony part for it's chordal beauty, while I played the melody on a F-5 Kimble. This is a great tune for a duet- check out Peter Ostrusko & Norman Blakes version.
  5. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Amanda, cool a Kimble, Will is a friend of mine. Great guy and makes wonderful instruments. Who's was it? Steve, no I have never made it up there yet. Usually stay close to home.
  6. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    F5G WIZ- the Kimble belongs to Cheryl Watson, and is his first F-5. The workmanship is a little rough, but this mando has a german engleman top and has a most unusual tone. It is open, chime like, plenty of volume, not typical of the F-5 bluegrass tone. But can certainly wail on bluegrass. The Kimble has a "feel" to it that makes it a breeze to play. When we play 'Muddy Creek' the Poe works best for the harmony part.
  7. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I play 14 out every Friday or Saturday evening and it's just a killer mandolin, plain and simple. I've had thoughts of selling but have pretty much changed my mind since having some setup issues worked out. 14 has a pretty substantial neck and my playing posture is not the best. I made some minor changes that will benefit my hand in the long run and I think I'm good to go. Hard to correct those bad habits, and sonically this mandolin is just what I was looking for.
  8. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Yeah the neck on mine is a bit "chunky" as compared to others but I don't mind it at all. Guess it could always be thinned down a bit.
  9. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Hey Steve,
    By chuncky, I suppose you mean in thickness, not width. At least that's the way #16's neck is. I have rather long fingers, so it feels great to me. Glad you worked out your set up and decided to keep yours - I'd hate to see you sell it. I also took my Poe to a good set up guy and he greatly improved the action and intonation. It is so much easier and more fun to play now.