Week #388 ~ The Humours of Trim (Sea Image, The Rolling Wave)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Humours of Trim, also known as Sea Image and The Rolling Wave, which was submitted as an IT jig.

Here is a link to 12 settings of the tune on thesession.org

Like so many Irish tunes, this seems to be a tune you find a lot in medleys!

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Here's mine, guitar track from OAIM

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff there James!
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really well done James, you've inspired me to give it a go. I have always heard this one called The Rolling Wave or Rolling Waves but I guess there are several different tunes with those names so I'll go with The Humours of Trim. Played on my Sobell mandolin & my Forster cittern.

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one David - lovely with the cittern backing!
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great playing, James and David. Love the chords David.
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great David - the harmonic accompaniment is a wonderful touch.
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    James and David, I loved both renditions! David...how is your cittern tuned?
  9. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here it is paired with "Brendan Tonra's Jig," with whistle and concertina chiming in:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Bob! Enjoyed hearing the concertina with it as I've been recently bitten by the concertina bug!
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Bob, I like hearing the mandolin front and center in the mix, good stuff.

Jill, don't let that bug bite too deep, concertinas are really expensive and hard to play especially the kind Bob plays.

Barabara, my cittern is a long scale cittern tuned DGDAD.
  12. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, Jill and David. I very much enjoyed your versions as well.

The concertina bug bites where it will... They've gotten pretty expensive in recent years, but they're still not as bad as, say, Uilleann pipes. And the difficulty is in the eyes, or the fingers, of the beholder. Anglo has always been pretty intuitive for me (the cross-row scales are challenging at first, but they quickly become second nature). The English, on the other hand...

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Yeah, I was amazed to see what a financial jump one would have to make from say an entry level Rochelle Anglo concertina to the next step up (R. Morse, Edgley, Tedrow, etc) - climbing the mandolin food chain is much more manageable in comparison!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Three very fine versions here, gents, and all with their own personalities!
  15. Francis J
    Francis J
    Here's my take, with apologies for the abominable webcam mike.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely there Francis! Great tune this, keep the versions coming everyone!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Just under the wire with this one - first opportunity to record this week, plus I'm renting a concertina and a wee bit obsessed with it at the moment....

Using a Wegen M100 pick for a change...

18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The excellent versions of all the masters here have given me confidence to try my own, paired with Hag at the Churn. Direct sunlight and camera framerate have produced an interesting strobe effect to make the D course vibrations visible.

19. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    well done, some lovely stuff all round on this one, i struggled to get this one recorded, few blunders at the end but this was my best effort.

regarding the concertina , i too became quite obsessed with it a while ago and purchased a rochelle, i didnt take to it at all, very big and plastic , we parted ways and i ended up with a little lachenal 20 button in c/g, fully restored by wheatstone with 6 bellows, a bit limiting i suppose but theres enough tunes to be played on it to last me a lifetime, its been sidelined for a while now, i really must get back at it.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very elegant triplets Lawrence, and apart from a bonus quarter near the end I heard nothing unusual.
  21. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Lawrence!

I'm renting a Rochelle at the moment - it's a testament to the concertina in general as an instrument that despite the Rochelle I'm still enjoying myself! Already scheming on how to get me hands on a nicer one.
  22. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    best of luck with it Jill, ive a feeling you'll be a natural at it