Week #385 ~ Old Jericho Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Old Jericho Waltz. I'm not familiar with this tune! It appears that it's a Butch Baldassari tune, so we may have to just learn this by ear, unless someone can find notation for me!

2. luurtie
    luurtie
    That's a cool tune! As far as I can hear should this be the chords:

Part 1
    3/4
    I Em I G I Am I Em I Em I G I B I B I
    I Em I G I Am I Em I C I B I Em I Em II

Part 2

I G I G I C I C I B7 I B7 I Em I Em I
    I G I G I C I C I B7 I B7 I Em I Em I

And here is my first attempt..

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent expressive tremolo... what a treat to listen to your beautiful rendering of this tune. One of your best!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great playing, Hendrik.
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    That is indeed a sweet version of the tune.

I tried not to steal too many ideas, but I suspect a few may have crept in...

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice version Bob... that mandolin sounds wonderful!
  7. Jairo Ramos Parra
    Jairo Ramos Parra
    Luurtie, Bob, you are Maestros!
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great recordings from Hendrik and Bob!

Worth mentioning that this tune wasn't written by Butch Baldassari, but by Ron Pennington who recorded it in 1989 on a self-published cassette tape. The tape found its way to Butch, who included it on both the album and the songbook "New Classics For Bluegrass Mandolin". The book is still in print, and has the sheet music and tab for this tune.

Ron is a Cafe member and has posted on the background of the tune in this old thread: Link

Here is my recording, on tenor guitar and mandolin:

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  9. luurtie
    luurtie
    That's is helpful information, Ron Pennington certainly deserves the credit's for this beautiful tune. You did a nice job on it Martin!
  10. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Howdy to all! Been a while since posting anything. Missed the sharing. I heard this tune and fell in love with it. You guys really played it well. Borrowed a lick or two from each rendition for my attempt. I will continue to play this one.
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    I almost missed this one... Nice work Timothy. I love all thos double-stops and other extra's that are really Timothy Smith!