Week #383 ~ The Steeplechase

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Steeplechase, which was submitted as a reel. I'm not familiar with it.

According to the Session.org, it is also known as A Hard Road To Travel, Carrigaline, The Milestone, The Rock Of Cashel.

Here's a link to six settings of this tune on thesession.org

I've found it mostly played in medleys.

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Late with this and a little on the rough side - I've been hit by the worst summer flu of my life, 102 temp for days on end, awful stuff! Finally feeling human enough to play my newly arrived Collings MT-O (you know you're sick when your new mandolin arrives and you can't even muster the energy to play it!) which got here on Thursday. Definitely glad that I've gone back to a radius fretboard, lovely as the old A-jr was, the Collings neck is more comfortable for me. First version I ever heard of this tune was the James Keane one posted above years ago - obviously can't play it near as fast as he does though!

3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Collings sounds great, Jill, as does your playing (as always); last chord has great tone! Hope you have a lot of fun from it.
    Hope flu clears off soon.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers John! I'm on the mend thankfully so able to start putting some miles on the Collings finally! Very pleased with it, though am experimenting with switching back to the Blue Chip TPR35 that I used to use back in the day as I feel that I'm playing a wee bit heavy handed when I use the Blue Chip Kenny Smith 40.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Whoa that's a fine sounding mandolin and you bring out a full range of tone when you pick it. Well done.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Michael. It was a toss up between the MT-O and a Weber Bitterroot F oval, but then someone made the decision for me by beating me to the Weber! I'm more than delighted with the MT-O though!
  7. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    That's a lovely sounding mandolin, Jill, and you really do it justice. Well played, indeed.

I thought this one might pair well with "The Graf Spee," which is probably my favorite reel in C (at least on the Irish side of things).

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Bob, I like the two of those together!
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff, Jill and Bob,im not really up to speed with it yet but i thought i would have a crack at the D version
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there sir!