Welcome to the group!

1. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    If you're joining the group or just passing by, we're glad you're here. Tell us about your mandolin, post a picture or both. Lots of these old beauties have great stories to tell. Share yours!
  2. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Dood! Why didn't I think of this?!

Love my Fender FM-988. I've been writing about for the last four installments in my blog. (click here to see it)

My mandocaster is sonic blue with some finish errors that give it a touch of sea-foam green in places. But the difference between the two colors is so slight that it doesn't photograph and you have to look closely in person to see it.

New Gary Vessel made pick guard; new Andrew Jerman made bridge.

Love playing 8 string emando. But I am drooling over J.Bovier's new mandocaster models.

Daniel
  3. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Great to have you here Daniel. I was on the cafe the other day when I got the idea. I know lots of musicians, but I'm not around any who play or own electric mandolins. Thought this might bring some out of the wood work. I'll have to check out J. Bovier's.
  4. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    How about a couple of pics of that lovely mandocaster of yours?

Daniel
  5. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    A couple hell, i'll give you SEVEN! You'll see the original brown case (sans handle). The original (?) ash tray, and a groovy little strap buckle that a buddy gave to me. Keep looking and you'll see my old bassman that i use with the help of a digital reverb pedal. I do use a smaller amp when I don't have a bass to plug in, but its almost worth hauling the big beast around for the mandolin alone.
  6. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Sa-weet!
    I am jonesing an original mandocaster. Would love the early blond version with the maple fretboard and the anodized pick guard.
    I had a '65 BandMaster head (50w) with a '67 2x12 cab for a few years, but the weight and size of the set was too much. Now I wish I still had it! [Amps are almost as fun as instruments, they're so varied and they all sound different.]
  7. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Who knew back in the seventies that those big piggy-back dinosaurs would be popular again? I've seen several white cabinets over the years that have been recovered or even spray painted black to look more modern. Chicago Music Exchange has two '56 blonde Fender mandos. We should have them. You can have first choice, either is fine with me.
  8. MnRoss
    MnRoss
    I own a 56 Blond Mandocaster fun as hell to play. I also have a 56 Gibson Em-200 8 string
  9. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hey Ross! Welcome to the group. We'd love to see some pictures.
  10. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Welcome also to Mike, Ted and Mrmando. Glad you guys are here. Tell us about your mandos and post some pictures!
  11. mrmando
    mrmando
    I snagged one of the FM984s from the eBay feeding frenzy of January 2008. It's the 4-string version of what Daniel has, but unlike him I haven't done any mods to it. I also have FM60E 5-strings coming and going all the time, and an FM61SE currently on the block (they don't move nearly as fast as the 5-strings do). Someday a purty li'l cherry red vintage Mandocaster will fall into my lap. But until then ...
  12. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Was cherry red ever a regular production color?
  13. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Martin,
    Yours required less, being a 4 string. And will likely retain its collectibility. But PLEASE let me know if you come across another 984. I'm hoping someday to have a matching set.

and hey, let's see some pics!

Daniel
  14. mrmando
    mrmando
    Cherry red was a custom shop color, if I've got the facts straight. I know of only two: John Kruth's and one that was sold on eBay some months ago for a remarkably low price by a Las Vegas seller. It hurt not to buy that one, but I didn't have the coin at the moment.
  15. mrmando
    mrmando
    And here be a photo:

The FM62SCE, Hondo, and Gibson EM200 have gone to their reward, but the other 5 are permanent members of the collection at this point.

More group shots here.
  16. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hmmm...Neglecting your garden while meticulously placing your little beauties on a barn door. I like it. They're all beautiful. What is the one in the middle?
  17. mrmando
    mrmando
    Yes, it looks like the tomato plant really needed to be staked up, didn't it?

The one in the center is a Joe Yanuziello. Great instrument.
  18. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Welcome Crazymandolinist. Glad to have you here.
  19. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hey Mandroid, pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Hi, I've posted my 2 Fender FM62SCE mandos. The older one I believe was the cause of a lawsuit with Rigel? Anyone got info on that?
  21. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hi Eddie, welcome to the group. Sorry I can't help your with info on your mandolins, but I'll bet that someone here can. Good looking mandolins!
  22. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Everybody welcome 'Strungsideo' to the group. Good to have you here.
  23. OKMike
    OKMike
    Hello Strungsideo, I'm kinda lurking here since I don't own an emando (I don't count my breedlove w/ radius pickup as an emando) but I've sure got the urge to get one.

Mike
  24. MnRoss
    MnRoss
    F-2 Dave I have to post somewhere online I guess to add a pic or 2 of my mando's I'll try and figure it out. Seems I can't just add an attachment as a picture
  25. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hey Ross, I had to make an album on my profile page, then I could use pictures out of that elsewhere. Hope this helps.
  26. rico mando
    hello every one. nice to see people of similar passion.had put down the mando for to many years before picking up a m bird. change everything for me now i'm a avid player again. just newly acquired a ryder em45.(thanks again martin) its bleepen awesome. playing through a gibson goldtone amp (has 8 tubes 2 15inch speakers) beautiful tone. have a boss gt-10 absolutely insane. i also have a fender fm-60e which i owned far many years but never really was comfortable with the extra string. also i am building my first electric 4 string,pic posted as avatar. if i finish it and still have all my fingers it will be considered a complete success . bye everyone
  27. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Welcome Rico.
  28. mandroid
    mandroid
    I have one of the FM61's, made a [black] replacement scratch plate, put a Humbucker EMG pickup in it, moved the V pot that was in the way, by doubling up a concentric pot, both where the other T one was .
    and put a good Switchcraft jack in.

Fender like P5 Pentaula, a 15" scale is currently functioning like an Octave Mandolin tuned GDAEB.
    Steve Ryder took some of the Baseball bat thickness and D shape out of the Neck, added 5 RMC Bridge/ pickups, 8 pin DIN jack and the original 1/4" share the space that was once occupied by the Strat angled jack plate for the 1/4".
  29. mandroid
    mandroid
    Duplicate
  30. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    hey Mandroid. Nice of you to drop by. The old Fender Electric has been pretty quiet lately. Please feel free to post pictures of your emandos.
  31. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    Just got a Fender FM60E to keep up with the electric guitar players [after playing my Apitius 10-string for the last 19 years. Looking forward to the horsepower! I'll try out my Fender Champ [1980 silverface] and my Roland cube 60 at a gig tomorrow night and see how going electric works out. Ought to be able to blow the bar out with it and a Rickenbacher lap steel and my musical partner on his Strat.
  32. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Hey Sam, Good to have you in the group. How old is your Rick steel? I've got a couple of old Fenders that I need to blow the dust off of.
  33. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    RBMB, welcome to you.
  34. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    The Rick is mid 1940's I believe, grey painted, shaded darker at the edge, not metalflake, but some kind of texture or something, not like straight modern paint. Got it strung up with old OMI dobro strings to replace the lighter ones I had put on for Hawaiian tunings when I lived there years ago. Also have a bakelite Rickenbacher spanish neck that I'm guessing is 1937-38. The original bakelite neck was broken[as were most of them] and I had a new neck made that looks just like the original except for metal frets. Also an intonated saddle so it actually plays accurately all the way up the neck. However this is getting far afield from Fenders, isn't it? Oh, well, we love them all.