Birthday Waltz for Mona (Andersson/Ulvaeus)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus: "Födelsedagsvals till Mona" (Birthday Waltz for Mona)

This happy waltz was written by none other than ABBA's Björn and Benny -- it's originally from Benny Andersson's debut solo album "Klinga mina klockor" (1987) and there are many Youtube clips of Benny's live performances of this tune with his various bands since then.

My mandolin cover version is based on an arrangement for two fiddles by Hidenori Omori, which can be found at his site:

http://omorihidenori.com/Fiddler_Hid...s/JFDA60th.pdf

I have recorded it as a trio of two mandolins with tenor guitar accompaniment:

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. JL277z
    JL277z
    Martin, that's a nice one! Curiously, that tune reminds me a lot of some of the music I heard my dad play on mandolin & 12-string etc years ago, he called that style "Norteno" (he learned to play in Texas in the 1920s).

I wonder how much cross-pollination there was between Swedish music and some of the early Tex-Mex and Mexican music?

While trying to do a little preliminary research today to see what, if any, connections exist, I found a Festival Of American Fiddle Tunes concert video of a traditional Mexican fiddler playing what sounds to me like a Swedish fiddle tune! All quite fascinating! Fun to listen to, and interesting to wonder about which tunes came from which part of the world. I guess there have always been lots of musical influences from all around the world.

Anyway, Martin thanks again for posting that tune, you play it very well. I'm going to have to put that tune on my already rather crowded "must learn" list.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great tune and arrangement, Martin. interesting comments by JL277z re possible Swedish/Texan/Mexican crossover. Certainly reminds me in places of some of those old western films where folk have a dance where the hero comes back from wherever he has been heroing!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for those comments! Interesting observations on the character of the tune. It's not of course a traditional Swedish tune and while both composers started out as Swedish folk musicians, they've dabbled in a few other styles since then...

Here is a high-energy live recording by the Benny Andersson Orchestra (BAO) from 2011, looking like they're having fun:

That arrangement and instrumentation does indeed sound rather Tex-Mex/mariachi to me, complete with trumpet solo. There is also an earlier 1986 TV performance with different instrumentation here, again sounding not necessarily very Swedish.

Martin