Week #373 ~ The Full Rigged Ship (Da Full Rigged Ship)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Full Rigged Ship, which was submitted as a Shetland tune. It is also known as Da Rigged Ship, Full Rigged Ship, The Fully Rigged Ship, and The Newly Rigged Ship.

I am finding it as a jig, and alternately as a reel.

Here is a link to two settings on thesession.org

Here's a link to standard notation to a set with the tune, both as a jig and a reel!

Here's a link to the tune in Nigel Gatherer, who has the 6/8 listed as an air, and in 4/4 reel notation, as well!
  2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Played (as a jig) on a Sobell mandolin, with whistle and guitar:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great Bob - really love the whistle.
    Here's mine, Eastman mandolin and a guitar.

4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is one I did a couple of years ago:

Arrangement as a jig by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni (thanks, Evelyn!) for three voices plus chords. We do this with our mandolin ensemble fairly often for light relief -- it's great fun to play!

Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Zimmermann waldzither
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, James. I really enjoyed your version as well; you pull some gorgeous tone out of that Eastman. Martin, I also liked that richly textured arrangement a lot, as well as the visuals. One of these days I'll have to start furnishing these videos with something worth looking at!

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here is my go at the same arrangement as Martin andfrom the sametime.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's another of my revisited tunes that we play frequently in our weekly get-togethers (although a bit slower than my home recording). Arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Casiglioni.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here too.
    I thought, we’ve got the flags, why not the rigging and the ship too.

9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin and John for your comments here https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...562&do=discuss - other thread of the same tune.

Yes John, first thing this morning I thought to myself, now what shall I do today?
    -I know! I’ll record another jig.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice open window recording, Simon. Almost (not really) as good as playing outside.
    A lot of interesting videos above.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That is an interesting version Martin, with the ripples of sound.
    This is a lovely subtle and complex tune, probably better played slowly, but I thought this time I’d crank it up and just get it recorded.

Thanks Frithjof, actually the windows are closed, the noise from the traffic in the village is terrible now, everyone seems to be moving out of the cities, or at least taking short holidays and weekends in the country.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great speed and rhythm, Simon. It sounds danceable and very enjoyable.

I feel sorry for you with the traffic. Villages aren't built for traffic.
  13. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    well played folks, had a quick attempt at it this morning , its certainly not easy