Week #372 ~ Salamanca Reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Salamanca Reel. Here is the link to seven settings on thesession.org. https://thesession.org/tunes/99

I am posting this from my phone, so I will ask those helpful
    Members to come up with videos or other links!
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice clear version on the whistle...

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great mandolin lesson for it...

4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    And of course the classic set from the Bothy Band...

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I know you are all just kidding me, but here I go again

6. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    It's kind of hard to dissociate this one from "The Banshee" and "The Sailor's Bonnet" when you've been hearing that Bothy Band set for forty years. But here it is with "Devanney's Goat" and "The Fairy Reel."

I play them at a slower, swingier pace than I ordinarily would at a session, just because it seemed to suit the instrument and/or my mood. The overdubbed tracks are Anglo concertina and flute.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  7. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Shoot man, I thought you were a concertina guy........
  8. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I thought you were a concertina guy........

Well, yeah, that too. I'm pretty easily distracted, though.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  9. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Lovely mix of the instruments again Bob.
    Here's mine, tenor banjo with guitar backing

10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff James!
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    In under the wire, finally got a moment to do some recording this week! First tune I've recorded using a Blue Chip Kenny Smith 40 pick - they're tiny but I find myself really liking it!

12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really great stuff Jill. Did you first learn this on the tenor? The reason I ask is I note that you switch to the second position for the high B which means you don't need to use your pinky - and I've watched enough of your videos to know you often do use your pinky for the high B on the mandolin. I've noticed with my playing over the last couple of years whilst I've been primarily playing the tenor that when I pick up the mandolin for a tune that cycles between G A and B (and not the F sharp) I switch to the second position as I would on the tenor automatically though of course on the tenor that is to aid hitting the high B with the pinky whereas on the mandolin it puts it under the ring finger. Prior to the tenor I never switched out of first position on the mandolin.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well spotted - I did indeed learn it first on the tenor. Decided to record it on the mandolin since it's been a wee bit neglected since the Deering's arrival!
  14. Tergal
    Tergal
    Agree. The more I play tenor banjo, the more I use banjo fingering on the mandolin.